Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off play off MATCH

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So we finish on the same points as Burnley, same goal difference , same goals scored and identical head to head then I presume that there be would a play off match with the winners going up and the losers going to play in the play offs.

That would take some arranging and would mess every other planned fixture up too.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
A £100m coin toss?

I think the Football League should just say "we have to promote three teams; as we can't separate these two we just promote them both along with Boro" and scrap the play-offs.

A coin flip has been used before. Maybe not in the football league but I think in UEFA or FIFA qualifying. It's an alternative to the biggest bribe option.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We'd go up due to the fact that the FL's Head Office is in London, and Burnley are Northerners.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
According to this, it would be a playoff

C.14: If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated or the question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined because 2 or more Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the Board

http://sports.stackexchange.com/que...-to-decide-league-position-in-football-soccer

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If we finish on the same points and goal difference as them, we would have to have scored far more goals than them in the process.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So we finish on the same points as Burnley, same goal difference , same goals scored and identical head to head then I presume that there be would a play off match with the winners going up and the losers going to play in the play offs.

That would take some arranging and would mess every other planned fixture up too.

It does go to a play off according to section 9.2 of the Football League rules. But can we get identical goal difference and goals scored from our current situation? Seems tricky.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton

Surely it would go to goals conceded, so we need to make sure we don't for the next 3 and we are up :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It does go to a play off according to section 9.2 of the Football League rules. But can we get identical goal difference and goals scored from our current situation? Seems tricky.

Preston 1-2 Burnley
Charlton 0-2 Brighton

Brighton 3-0 Derby
Burnley 3-2 QPR

Middlesbrough 0-2 Brighton
Charlton 1-2 Burnley

Or swap some of the results (i.e. either ours in each week, or Burnley's results in each week), or add a consistent number of goals to each of our figures. Pretty unlikely, not impossible.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here