Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Queen vs The Republic

Continue with Monarchy or bring on the Republic?

• Off with their heads, bring on the Republic

Votes: 83 43.9%
  • God save her graciousness and all her progeny.

Votes: 106 56.1%

• Total voters

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
The nearly 90 year old Queen has been on the throne for 64 years. What is your view on the UK's hereditary unelected Head of State?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I think she is brilliant at her job.

But that having a hereditary head of state is ridiculous. Imagine someone suggesting it if it wasn't already in place!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
stat in the Indi yesturday had 86% saying we should continue with a monarch as head of state.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I think she is brilliant at her job.

But that having a hereditary head of state is ridiculous. Imagine someone suggesting it if it wasn't already in place!

This is my view.

The lady herself is an absolute credit to the country but I'm not keen on the concept as a whole.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is my view.

The lady herself is an absolute credit to the country but I'm not keen on the concept as a whole.
I'm Republican but I agree with this.

Sadly there is no escaping the fact that she DOES come with hangers on, and that whole lot of sponging tossers cost the country a fortune.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I think off with their heads is a bridge too far.......

But great respect for the lady herself, but totally opposed to the concept of a hereditary monarchy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The idea of, for example, President Tony Blair and the fragrant First Lady Cherie, rather pisses on the Republicans Fireworks IMO

Absolute rubbish. If we had a president or whatever, the point is that people would have voted for him or her. If people didn't want Blair and didn't vote for him, he wouldn't get in.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They tried it in Oz in 2000 and failed

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The idea of a hereditary head of state is old fashioned but in reality she is merely a figurehead and does a very good job at it. The government run the country pretty much unhindered.

The alternative is probably a president and then you have to ask who are you likely to get then!!!! If it were like America, then the head of state would be a position bought by the highest bidder. That would leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolute rubbish. If we had a president or whatever, the point is that people would have voted for him or her. If people didn't want Blair and didn't vote for him, he wouldn't get in.
Point of order! Most people didn't vote for Blair (as PM, that is). Same as Thatcher was a minority vote (37% at her most successful election I think?) - and President Thatcher would have been a recipe for civil disorder too. What we've got now is what we've got - be careful what you wish for!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here