Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best midfield since last time we were in the top flight?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely Tony K, Kayal, Stevens and Skalak/Murphy are the most impressive Albion midfield since we had the likes of Grealish, Case, Smillie and Gregory in the Albion line up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loftslaces

Apr 6, 2016
Graffham
If only Vicente was around

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Don't forget March.

We've got such strength in depth on the wings and the Kayal/Stephens partnership is one for the ages. IF we went up I'd certainly rate our chances of staying there with this squad.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don't forget March.

We've got such strength in depth on the wings and the Kayal/Stephens partnership is one for the ages. IF we went up I'd certainly rate our chances of staying there with this squad.

Kayal and March are our best exponents of CM and wing-play, respectively.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Was saying such last night. with 5 very capable wingers and Kayal alongside Stephens in the centre we look strong, although need an extra one for the centre. The difficulty is signing a central midfielder who would be happy to work for his spot in the side and wait for the opportunity without causing disruptions to squad morale if he cannot get in.

Maybe Sidwell would be a good option, but could Ince, Holla, Forster-Caskey, Crofts or Towell be able to make the step up and push for a place in the top flight

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A SLIGHT improvement on last year's options of Gary Gardner, JFC and Ince.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Was saying such last night. with 5 very capable wingers and Kayal alongside Stephens in the centre we look strong, although need an extra one for the centre. The difficulty is signing a central midfielder who would be happy to work for his spot in the side and wait for the opportunity without causing disruptions to squad morale if he cannot get in.

Maybe Sidwell would be a good option, but could Ince, Holla, Forster-Caskey, Crofts or Towell be able to make the step up and push for a place in the top flight
No because 2 of those are definitely leaving. In fact we could lose 4 of them if JFC and Ince leave permanently in the summer

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I would say our midfield is on a par with any other we have ever had. Probably technically better than any other Albion midfield that has gone before it

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
gardner,jfc, teixeira.....the most lightweight midfield ever assembled

Yep it was ridiculous. I think the early part of the season we had a whole run of games with JFC and Gardner in central mid. It was beyond woeful. Almost like there was no one in the centre of the pitch

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep it was ridiculous. I think the early part of the season we had a whole run of games with JFC and Gardner in central mid. It was beyond woeful. Almost like there was no one in the centre of the pitch

It was the ONE area of the team that Hyppia never rotated. Really bizarre. Teams would just casually stroll through our central midfield.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's all about Kayal. Not got a soft-centre midfield that just rolls over for anyone anymore. Player Of The Season IMHO.

If you listen to Calde, Kayal is good but better with Stephens as a midfield partner. The sum of total is more than the parts.
He thinks Stephens should be player of the season.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
It was the ONE area of the team that Hyppia never rotated. Really bizarre. Teams would just casually stroll through our central midfield.

Totally, how he could not see how bad they were together is beyond me. Hyppia works on another plane and they don't have football management there or even football teams

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here