Members

A minutes applause

1 Not allowed!
    Not sure if this has been discussed yet.

Last night we paid our respects to the sad passing of Dennis with a minute of applause. It was carried out perfectly and even the QPR fans joined in and showed great respect.

My only question is, the game was still being played and whilst clapping I did note that within this period, I was drawn to the match at the same time. The minutes applause is quite new and is growing in popularity but is it a good thing? Are we really pausing to think of the fallen whilst clapping and are we really paying our respects, when our minds and attentions are often watching the match.

I know its only a minute but I am not sure I think this is a good thing that is developing and would prefer a minute before the match, everyone focussed and paying their respects, in silence or in applause but not during a match, surely??

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by cooliobhafc View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not sure if this has been discussed yet.

Last night we paid our respects to the sad passing of Dennis with a minute of applause. It was carried out perfectly and even the QPR fans joined in and showed great respect.

My only question is, the game was still being played and whilst clapping I did note that within this period, I was drawn to the match at the same time. The minutes applause is quite new and is growing in popularity but is it a good thing? Are we really pausing to think of the fallen whilst clapping and are we really paying our respects, when our minds and attentions are often watching the match.

I know its only a minute but I am not sure I think this is a good thing that is developing and would prefer a minute before the match, everyone focussed and paying their respects, in silence or in applause but not during a match, surely??
      I agree think it should be before match.
      I looked at QPR bench while applause was going on,every member was on their feet applauding. Well done QPR
      Grey bearded old man Cadiz Seagull's Avatar
      Between Bexhill and Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain

0 Not allowed!
      Also it could will be disrupted if one side scores a few seconds after it starts, or something important happens like a penalty or a dodgy decision. I think before kickoff is best.
      If history teaches us anything, it is that history teaches us nothing
      Uckfield Seagull I remember the good times's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      interesting thoughts. I was thinking how the players must feel. Would it be disrespectful to score a goal. What would the ref do if a thrown in was conceded and the player put the ball down and started clapping.
      Noticeable how quiet it was in the minutes leading up to the clock ticking over. But once again absolute solidarity amongst 'fans', home and away alike.
      Remainer Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I couldn't help thinking during the minute the players seemed a bit distracted, although I may have just created this scenario in my own mind.

I was good to see everyone take part

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cadiz Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Also it could will be disrupted if one side scores a few seconds after it starts, or something important happens like a penalty or a dodgy decision. I think before kickoff is best.
      We scored during the minutes applause for Tony Langridge

0 Not allowed!
      I think Bruno took a bit longer than normal to take the throw in and the ref didn't hurry him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk