Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The importance of goal difference

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Like everyone else I spent the night thinking of permutations and how it might work out.

Burnley's Keane scoring in injury time from a corner was a hammer blow to us, we really could have done without him repeating the trick. It now means that even if Burnley are held at Preston, we probably won't really benefit because whether they win or draw, we have to win all three remaining games to be promoted. It is also the case that we can't be expected to finish with a better goal difference than them given the remaining fixtures, so they only need to match our results to finish above us.

So is goal difference important any more? Well yes it is actually. Boro are also just four goals clear of us, but if we can put a cricket score past Charlton and beat Derby (ideally by more than one) and Middlesbrough drop points, then we could feasibily go to the Riverside ahead of them needing just a draw for promotion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a nagging feeling that we have left this very impressive charge too late as Boro and Burnley are both capable of scoring last minute or injury time winners to keep us at bay...as they keep doing. We have closed just one point on Burnley since our thrashing by Cardiff.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have a nagging feeling that we have left this very impressive charge too late as Boro and Burnley are both capable of scoring last minute or injury time winners to keep us at bay...as they keep doing. We have closed just one point on Burnley since our thrashing by Cardiff.

Wrong, we have made up two points during that time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But we've closed four points on them since our game with them at the Amex.

But I agree, we may have left it too late. Goals galore at Charlton would change all that if we can get a couple of early goals...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If we do have to go in the playoffs, the fact that we are scoring goals from all over the pitch will be good for us. The belief is there in the team, regardless of the method of promotion. We have experienced players who believe.

Apr 5, 2016
This is how I see it too. There's huge pressure on Boro now, they will know if they don't win their next two, both tricky games, then it's well and truly advantage Brighton going into the last game.

They don't seem capable of gaining more than one goal a game, so I don't think you even need a boat load against Charlton to even the goal difference up.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Another couple of scenarios..
We are level with Burnley on points and goal difference and up pops Sir Bob to score

We are level with Burnley on points and goal difference and Andre Gray is substituted for Ashley and he scores..

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I still fancy Bobby to return from injury on the bench v Boro for his farewell appearance, and pop up with a late winner to clinch promotion.
It's what he does, it's written in the stars !

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Like everyone else I spent the night thinking of permutations and how it might work out.

Burnley's Keane scoring in injury time from a corner was a hammer blow to us, we really could have done without him repeating the trick. It now means that even if Burnley are held at Preston, we probably won't really benefit because whether they win or draw, we have to win all three remaining games to be promoted. It is also the case that we can't be expected to finish with a better goal difference than them given the remaining fixtures, so they only need to match our results to finish above us.

So is goal difference important any more? Well yes it is actually. Boro are also just four goals clear of us, but if we can put a cricket score past Charlton and beat Derby (ideally by more than one) and Middlesbrough drop points, then we could feasibily go to the Riverside ahead of them needing just a draw for promotion.
Don't be negative we can challenge for the title now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This might be a strange thing to say but I would rather go to Middlesbrough needing a win than a draw to go up. That's because I think this group of players, seem to play better when they need to go chasing a positive result rather that settling for the status quo

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If we do have to go in the playoffs, the fact that we are scoring goals from all over the pitch will be good for us. The belief is there in the team, regardless of the method of promotion. We have experienced players who believe.

No one would want to play us in the play offs now.

Not even the Massive Sheffield club.

Not relevant though as we'll win the next 3.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We are still 3 games to play and lets not forget if we win them all , which we are quite capable of at present , then we are promoted .. simples :amex:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny thing -

if you're a Middlesbrough fan, and were offered right now a final points total of either 91 points or 92 points, you'd take the 91 points all day long...

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
There's every chance we could stick another good amount past Charlton this weekend. They've nothing to play for and will be in the mire. Winning by 2 or 3 puts us right there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was starting to look like we could achieve what looked impossible a week ago and put the goal difference factor in our favour.

Burnley were still one down and we were pushing for a fifth.

It feels as though it could be tricky to get in front of Burnley's GD now, but Boro are there for the taking, given the double significance of any goals we put past them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Funny thing -

if you're a Middlesbrough fan, and were offered right now a final points total of either 91 points or 92 points, you'd take the 91 points all day long...

It was starting to look like we could achieve what looked impossible a week ago and put the goal difference factor in our favour.

Burnley were still one down and we were pushing for a fifth.

It feels as though it could be tricky to get in front of Burnley's GD now, but Boro are there for the taking, given the double significance of any goals we put past them.

More importantly ..as has been said over and over win our last three we are up..I'll stick with that scenario until it changes..keeps it simple

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here