Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Crime Commissioner Elections

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So who's voting ? And for whom ?

Me, I'm not voting, don't agree with the running of the police being controlled by politics.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Nope. I'll be spoiling my paper. Cost an outrageous amount of money and dislike the idea of the police being made 'run' by a member of a political party. No doubt another 15% turn out.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So who's voting ? And for whom ?

Me, I'm not voting, don't agree with the running of the police being controlled by politics.

The alternative is what? a faceless unaccountable body which the public will have no input or influence over?

Previously they were run as an 'independent Police authority'. The police authorities consisted of two-thirds elected members of County or Borough councils, and one-third magistrates. - IMO, that could still have led to politically controlled forces (depending on who had control of the various councils that the majority of members came from at the time) with the drawback that they weren't elected by the public and therefore unaccountable to them and couldn't be ousted.

As for voting, i haven't got a clue who is standing and what they offer to the role, so therefore i can't make an informed decision and therefore I don't plan to vote

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The alternative is what? a faceless unaccountable body which the public will have no input or influence over?

Previously they were run as an 'independent Police authority'. The police authorities consisted of two-thirds elected members of County or Borough councils, and one-third magistrates. - IMO, that could still have led to politically controlled forces (depending on who had control of the various councils that the majority of members came from at the time) with the drawback that they weren't elected by the public and therefore unaccountable to them and couldn't be ousted.

As for voting, i haven't got a clue who is standing and what they offer to the role, so therefore i can't make an informed decision and therefore I don't plan to vote

I'd happily vote if the candidates weren't associated to political parties - i.e. independents

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'd happily vote if the candidates weren't associated to political parties - i.e. independents

That could happen under the election process, but it requires someone to stand as an independent and take on all the funding cost that would be associated with trying to get elected which is probably quite unlikely and if attempted, quite likely to fail. (often people vote for a party rather than a candidate (which they often know next to nothing about) so they would need to be high profile enough to overcome this head start a political candidate would get which costs)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Only one I know about it Katy Bourne who appears to have done bugger all for her £80k a year.

£80k salary and she managed to spend £1.5 million a year running her office. Wtf?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Nope. I'll be spoiling my paper. Cost an outrageous amount of money and dislike the idea of the police being made 'run' by a member of a political party. No doubt another 15% turn out.

Exactly what I did last time. And will do again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here