Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton v Charlton

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is the other game to keep an eye on. If Charlton fail to win, they will be relegated. If they do win, they will stand an outside chance of staying up. We obviously don't want to play them when they're still fighting for their lives. On the other hand, sometimes relegated teams discover a bit of form because the pressure is off and they have nothing to lose. We should really hope Bolton send them down tonight, though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Rotherham, Fulham, Forest and Blackburn each get ONE more point, they are down anyway.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is the other game to keep an eye on. If Charlton fail to win, they will be relegated. If they do win, they will stand an outside chance of staying up. We obviously don't want to play them when they're still fighting for their lives. On the other hand, sometimes relegated teams discover a bit of form because the pressure is off and they have nothing to lose. We should really hope Bolton send them down tonight, though.
Don't know the stats on this but I'd be amazed if the reality is that relegated/promoted teams do better when they have "nothing to play for". For me, Championship football seems to be as much as anything about speed around the pitch and the sheer effort and commitment put into covering, making lungbusting forward runs, tackling, communicating, etc for 95 minutes...

My reading of relevant theories in the psychology of sport would suggest that football team performance is enhanced by having something to play for. This belief is based on a greater emphasis placed on motivated effort in football rather than on the relaxed execution of fine motor skills.

Conversely, if two snooker players played in the World Championship and one already knew he had a "bye" into the next round then I would expect that player to play relatively better than the player who knew he was under pressure to win.

In between on the physical/mental skill scale might be something like batting in cricket. That can arguably be enhanced or diminished by the added pressure of having something to play for (depending on situational and personal factors). For example, Robin Martin Jenkins, after he had already announced his retirement, played like Garry Sobers in his pomp for the last few weeks of his cricket career. But another batsman who relied more on steely concentration for their performance might actually do worse as a result of loosening up.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Charlton, unfortunately for them, are going down, regardless of what they do tonight. They have no hope.

Nor, on a happier note, do Milton Keynes, which disappointingly means we'll see no more of that utter WEAPON of a Dongs fan who started posting on here prior to our recent game up there. I forget his name. He made a sharp exit after their defeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here