Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New BBQ Gas or charcoal

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Good people of NSC,

Looking into getting a new BBQ for the summer. To date I have always had charcoal BBQ's however gas does appeal to me as it is much quicker to get set up and cooking in the evening.

Anyone with a gas BBQ, would you recommend, or should I stick to charcoal?

Thanks

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Weber charcoal. Thread closed.

If you get proper charcoals, a good BBQ - it should be lit and ready to cook in 30mins. Much better and tastier than Gas.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
weber_2_zone.jpg

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

If you get proper charcoals, a good BBQ - it should be lit and ready to cook in 30mins. Much better and tastier than Gas.

I have always had charcoal to date, and previous BBQs been able to get set up and cooking in that time, however after work by the time I get home, put the kids in bed and get ready to eat 30mins to warm up seems an eternity compared to Gas which I believe you can cook on straight away.

Maybe I am just impatient.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Nah. Big Green Egg. Thread closed. (I do agree about charcoal though :wink:)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's a bit early in the season to be kicking this contentious debate off (paging [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] to tell us it's always BBQ season).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have always had charcoal to date, and previous BBQs been able to get set up and cooking in that time, however after work by the time I get home, put the kids in bed and get ready to eat 30mins to warm up seems an eternity compared to Gas which I believe you can cook on straight away.

Maybe I am just impatient.

If Gas why not just use your grill or oven? Same thing

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You will probably find a lot of bbq-snobbery when you ask that question on here. As if gas bbqs are the devil and only charcoal should be used by a proper bbqer. Thing is, I used to watch an american (the land of bbq) cookery show called 'BBQ university' (http://www.bbqu.net/) and they used charcoal and gas bbqs. If you get a top range gas bbq it can have a lot of functions to get some smoke into your food, and other functions that make it quite a decent bit of kit.

But, ultimately, it depends on why you want to bbq.

If you're doing it because the weather is nice and you fancy eating your food outdoors and you're not that fussed about how the smokiness of charcoal and woodchips improve the flavour, then a gas bbq is fine.

If you're doing it to prove yourself a great bbq cook, then, as well as the subtle flavour issue, you also need to show your heat control skill. This is something that is shown better with hot coals, than a dial on a gas hob.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Agree with the sentiment* and that has always been my argument against a Gas BBQ. Colleagues rave on about the convenience of gas compared so wanted to see NSCs opinion

[*except I have an electric oven/ grill]

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
It's not the same thing...at least part of the flavour from a BBQ comes from the fat from the meat dripping on to the open flame below and the subsequent smoke/flare-up. You get this with gas as well as charcoal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gas if you're lazy.

Charcoal if you like mucking about with fire.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why not just cook the meat properly on an electric or gas cooker. Whenever I have chicken from a barbecue either friends, relatives or even commercial ones it has never been cooked right through slightly pink in the middle and crisp outside unless part pre cooked in an oven. Perhaps I have been unlucky.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Gas if you're lazy.

Charcoal if you like mucking about with fire.

Who doesn't like mucking about with fire. It's the best way to cook and the closest thing to getting back to being a cave man, at the end of the evening I complete the experience by smacking the wife over the head with a club and dragging her off to bed (after she's done the washing up of course).

Why not just cook the meat properly on an electric or gas cooker. Whenever I have chicken from a barbecue either friends, relatives or even commercial ones it has never been cooked right through slightly pink in the middle and crisp outside unless part pre cooked in an oven. Perhaps I have been unlucky.

Clearly whoever is cooking doesn't know what they are doing. I've never experienced any dodgy food from a bbq but it's all about making sure the coals are hot enough before you start cooking, don't rush it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here