Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The USA are really 'getting' the game...

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I was in Orlando at Easter and was amazed by the high profile of Orlando City FC.
They are a new club only a couple of years old but they regularly get 40,000 at their home games and they have a really loud and passionate support.
Kaka plays for them.
It feels like the American fans are really switching on to 'soccer' (football) in a big way.

http://youtu.be/1_lalPysPSE

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I'm going to Seattle game in July who average 45k, think Orlando average around 30k. Growing each year though.

Ticket cost me 22 dollars too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
We are planning on seeing them play Seattle Sounders on 7th August. Just watching game now to see what the stadium and atmosphere is like

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I'm watching too....it's a fantastic atmosphere!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
https://timbersarmy.org/game-day/chants for any Timbers Fans

One of their efforts:

Portland boys, we are here – Whoa, Whoa
Portland boys, we are here – Whoa, Whoa
Portland boys, we are here
Steal your women, drink your beer!
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa
Burn, destroy, wreck and kill – Whoa, Whoa
Burn, destroy, wreck and kill – Whoa, Whoa
Burn, destroy, wreck and kill
Portland Timbers bloody will!
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa
Use your head, use your feet – Whoa, Whoa
Use your head, use your feet – Whoa, Whoa
Use your head, use your feet
10 [color of opposition] buggers at my feet!
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa
We are green, we are white – Whoa, Whoa
We are green, we are white – Whoa, Whoa
We are green, we are white
We are bloody dynamite!
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa
Only sing this verse when directed by capos:
Can you hear [the others] sing? Noo, Noo
Can you hear [the others] sing? Noo, Noo
Can you hear [the others] sing?
I can’t hear a bloody thing!
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa

Went to Vancouver v Seattle last season, atmosphere not brilliant but Seattle tried hard. It was quite noisy before the game on the streets though. Quality of football by the teams, who were both challenging for the title, was pretty poor though, league 1 standard.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Saw NY City vs Orlando. Great atmosphere and over 30k inside the Yankee stadium. Despite the big names, as mentioned general standard is League 1 at best

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
That film of Portland Timbers is superb!!!!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The MLS is defo growing, you see the TV networks really getting behind it now, the only issue I have is that the fans are still to grow their own identity. They're obsessed with copying a european teams style of fan and then running with it, leading to really forced 'Ultras' and shit like that, I am really excited to see it grow naturally over the next ten years or so and the fans slowly get their own identities as they fade away from the hardcore copycats to the natural progression of things.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The fact that NBC now screens every Premiership game live over 7 channels and the internet has helped. Americans can now watch games live which cannot be seen in the UK. Interesting how there was an earlier thread about ‘Premiership arrogance’ – I think there is also a degree of snobbery towards US soccer from some British fans. Agreed the standard is not fantastic – league 1 is about where it is. But you have to remember that football is a mature game in the UK whereas it’s very much a newcomer in the States, and when you go to a MLS game there is no denying the passion and enthusiasm so perhaps it should be cut some slack.

el punal

Orlando is a strange one - they're moving to a brand new stadium next season with a capacity smaller than the crowds they get now.

It's been posted before, but the Portland Timbers looks great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBUNbJLHro

Blimey! Their security must be shit. They obviously don't search bags or pat you down. " What you've got there son? " - " This? Oh, just a chainsaw. " - " Okay, you have yourself a good time then."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Orlando is a strange one - they're moving to a brand new stadium next season with a capacity smaller than the crowds they get now.

It's been posted before, but the Portland Timbers looks great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBUNbJLHro
Brighton Hove Albion, Debbie speaking, how can I help?
Yeah hi, I'm a season ticket holder and I was wondering if it was ok if I brought a chainsaw to the match?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Used to be a regular at RFK to watch DC United, whose most passionate fans were Hispanics drawn from the neighbourhoods around the stadium. Although the crowds were 14-16k they could generate quite an atmosphere in the rickety old stadium.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
No one EVER in history of soccerball will ever say 'it's the Ruckus crew let's have it'.

MLS fans seem to be obsessed with European Ultra groups. Whether people perceive this to be a positive or a negative is always debated weekly on the radio over here.

I've attended a Sounders V Timbers game a few seasons ago, it was good fun. It's nice to be treated as an adult, have a beer in your seat and watch some football. The defenders are woeful generally giving attackers far too much time and space. I have tickets for New York City V Orlando at Yankee stadium at the end of May. I am looking forward to Villa, Pirlo, Lampard, Kaka and Julio Baptiste strutting their stuff.

Albion my Albion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No one EVER in history of soccerball will ever say 'it's the Ruckus crew let's have it'.

MLS fans seem to be obsessed with European Ultra groups. Whether people perceive this to be a positive or a negative is always debated weekly on the radio over here.

I am looking forward to Villa, Pirlo, Lampard, Kaka and Julio Baptiste strutting their stuff.

I think the Americans must develop their own superstars. Footballers such as PL gk Tim Howard (USA WC star), Tim Ream of Fulham, etc need to play in America such as Seattle's Clint Dempsey (another USA WC star) so that Americans can see their best. The fans will learn their names and learn to appreciate their skill.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I see we have the usual European style Ultras bashing going on here. The whole rest of the world support their football teams in this manner, it is only England and Scotland who do it differently. It is a little unfair to criticise the American fans on this basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here