Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next Saturday at the Valley

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Hello guys,

I'm a Charlton fan, may I firstly express my condolences to the family of the Brighton fan who passed away on Friday (sorry but I don't know his name), and extend that to you his fellow supporters. It may be inappropriate to say this, but his passing was the way many of us football fans would like to exit. However he is a loss, and I feel sure Albion fans will respond appropriately.

I have come here to talk about the game next Saturday, and I hope that isn't too objectionable. By the time of the game we will have been relegated, and of course you are pushing hard for promotion. There will be a kind of cross purpose agenda going on. You will rightly be cheering on your team to victory and the points (something you do very well, certainly recently at the Valley) however our focus will be somewhat different.

It could well be (and I don't yet know the plans) that the match is disrupted. It won't be personal to Brighton, but part of our current struggle, however it is likely to annoy Brighton fans who will come rightly intent on losing themselves in the business of the football match, and it will be annoying being messed up somewhat by some actions by Charlton fans. I am sure that the match will be completed however. You will have every right to be annoyed if the football is disrupted, but I am here to inform rather than justify.

I am not here for sympathy, or support, or to call in any favours, but to explain that Charlton fans are once again involved in a struggle for their club, and for our club to be 'normal' again. We thought our major struggle ended almost three decades ago when we fought to return home to the Valley, but sadly we were wrong.

I won't go into the history of everything, but I believe Charlton fans had a particular perspective on the Brighton nightmare years that you endured. We witnessed you having to trek to Gillingham, previously we followed (with bated breath) that game at Hereford where you scored an own goal, but survived with a Reinelt equaliser. That game was just after your last game at the Goldstone, we could identify with the awful pain of that because we had been through a final game ground share scenario ourselves, and we were all rooting for Brighton, not just because of shared antipathy to Crystal Palace, but because your manager was Charlton club legend Stevie Gritt who we have always felt great affection for.

Earlier part of your campaign was the fantastic Fans United day. It was brilliant to see fans from as far apart as Plymouth and Grimsby, and yes Crystal Palace and Liverpool, and I am pretty sure we organised at least two coachloads from Charlton to join you. This picture shows some Charlton fans united with you on that day.

brighton-fans-united-feb-1997-1.jpg

I say all this, not because I want to call in any favours at all. We at Charlton have called upon the spirit of the days when we struggled for the Valley, and we have got our act together and have been campaigning since the end of October 2015 with a wide range of protests against our current absentee owner Roland Duchatelet, and his Chief Executive Katrien Meire (who last week was on holiday in Dubai!). For me personally the struggle has been heartbreaking but necessary, just as it must have been for Albion fans under Archer.

I won't list all the things we have done, but they range from lone wolf activity to mass protests and a little bit of research on your part (if you're that interested) will reveal more. This brings me back to the game on Saturday.
I am hoping that even if Brighton fans are pissed off by any disruption, that they understand that we are now in a place that many of your good selves were in before and we feel we have no choice.

Incidentally I am delighted with your present circumstances, and to top it off you have the best seats in the league, and the best vegetarian food too!

We have to do our thing as best we know how during this struggle. Who knows, by next Saturday we might have been sold on, but I doubt it. It will be nothing personal to Brighton as we have taken action against Boro too, and Birmingham, and on the last day it will be Burnley, but I suppose I have joined up here in an attempt to explain where a lot of Charlton fans will be coming from, and I suppose it is a kind of apology in advance for any of you that get pissed off by our actions.

Also, is it too much to ask for you to get promoted and relegate Palace?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's fine, we've been following the ongoing situation. As irritating as it may be, to fail to understand it is to fail to appreciate our own history- and to forget how others tried their best to support.

I would be overjoyed if we take three points- and my joy would be complete if you succeed in your own endeavours. Winners all round.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Personally understand the issues what is happening a Charlton is utterly disgraceful however sadly a recurring theme these days

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Stop whining, we're trying to enjoy ourselves over here.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not sure what it says about my principles, or lack of, that I will be much more willing to support your protest should your team capitulate on the pitch for an easy 3 points :whistle:

I do empathise with your situation greatly though, being old enough to have suffered through our own strife.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
How about you support us during the game?? And we support you before AnD after the game. Totally understand everything going on and need to do something about it. BUT last thing we need is game to get abandoned or something similar at this stage of season!!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Can I just say, I hope you really mess up the Burnley game...if you're losing that is.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Please do not break the goal posts and let the game be completed.

Good luck with the future of Charlton, my Mum and Family supported them in the fifties when you had a great side.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here