Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Davis: Snooker great retires after 38-year career

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fantastic Snooker player, so consistent it defied belief at times also despite the comments he had no personality he was quite interesting when interviewed.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I struggle to understand why old school great snooker players are no longer any good.
It's nothing to do with fitness, obviously.
Davis, White, Hendry etc were greats of the game.
Are snooker players just so much better or do older greats just get tired of it all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 159

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I struggle to understand why old school great snooker players are no longer any good.
It's nothing to do with fitness, obviously.
Davis, White, Hendry etc were greats of the game.
Are snooker players just so much better or do older greats just get tired of it all.

I was saying this to the Mrs the other day. When I got interested in snooker, around 1980 there were a few older lads playing it, people like Ray Reardon, Fred Davis & John Spencer as well as young guns like Alex Higgins and Steve Davis. Reardon was 46 when he won his last World Championship.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was saying this to the Mrs the other day. When I got interested in snooker, around 1980 there were a few older lads playing it, people like Ray Reardon, Fred Davis & John Spencer as well as young guns like Alex Higgins and Steve Davis. Reardon was 46 when he won his last World Championship.

Good point, Davis & Higgins were great players as well, so why cant the greats of yesteryear be as good as the players today.
I can only assume that the players today are so much better, but I don't see it because its a game played on a small table, no fitness needed, and once you have all the shots & safety play like Davis there is not much more you can do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here