Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our highest ever points total in the second tier

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
At eighty one points already, this must be our highest ever points total at this level, surely?

I believe in the 77 to 79 seasons we finished fourth and second, but with two points for a win, would have been well below the current total. Poyet's side finished fourth, but with seventy something points, and Oscar's side sixth, with fewer still. Barry Lloyd's 1991 play off side scraped in with Wendy Wilkins' free kick, so can't have had more than seventy odd points.

I can't think of any other times we'd had had this many. Be interesting to know what the 78-79 season's total would have equated to under three points for a win.

Who'da thought it when watching Hyypia's dire side last season, eh? :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Be interesting to know what the 78-79 season's total would have equated to under three points for a win.

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 11.23.32.png

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
78/79 we would have had 79 points with 3 for a win.

Edit: ah I see it's been covered.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes but teams would have played differently with 3 instead of 2 so i dont think this is a credible comparison

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As 78/79 was also a 22, not 24 team league, there needs to be a calculation of average points per game to make a direct comparison.

I did the maths for this thread: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?330157-How-far-can-we-go

Maintaining our current rate of 1.92 points per game would see us get 88-89 points which would exceed the theoretical total of 86-87 from 1978/79. Whether even achieving this would be enough to get us promoted we wait to see. 88 points and our current goal difference would have gained automatic promotion in only half of the last ten seasons.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Irrespective of points averages, and so on, this current Albion side is, therefore, up there- statistically speaking at least- with some of our best teams ever.

Nice, isn't it? :)

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here