Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The first 20 minutes

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Those around me were swearing and getting very agitated that Brighton weren't scoring many goals. To me and [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] it seemed that Hughton had a game plan and was sticking to it, I.e wear Fulham out and punish them, given their record. Anyone else think Brighton played badly in the first 20 Mins until we scored?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Fulham kept the ball and were frustrating us and the crowd were getting edgy. Probably part of the plan but once we scored they looked clueless

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Those around me were swearing and getting very agitated that Brighton weren't scoring many goals. To me and [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] it seemed that Hughton had a game plan and was sticking to it, I.e wear Fulham out and punish them, given their record. Anyone else think Brighton played badly in the first 20 Mins until we scored?

Hughton said words to the affect that Fulham having the possession wasn't the plan.
Especially when the other team have the 2nd top scorer in the league.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hughton said words to the affect that Fulham having the possession wasn't the plan.

They had possession but looked impotent though. I think this was, to a certain extent planned. They score lots but conceded lots.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Was going to start a thread saying as much myself, but happy to defer to swifter NSCers. It was a tactical master-stroke or, at the very least, looks so in hindsight. Despite all that possession that Fulham had, they barely got in our penalty area and certainly didn't have a shot to speak of. Our passing wasn't exactly great during that period, but if you noticed we sat back, and barely committed anyone forward, so it certainly looked like a game plan. In stark contrast to Fulham, we looked dangerous as soon as we started to get hold of the ball, and moved players further up the pitch.
CH specifically said at the start of the season that he wanted us to adapt and play different styles within a particular game. As much as we deserve the plaudits for that devastating play for the last 70 minutes, the first 20 minutes provided the platform.
Not a bad time in the season to start looking awesome.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am not a great thinker of the professional game and I think 100% of us think we could do a job, but in reality we can't. So when not getting to the game tonight (don't ask I'm seething) I tune into BBC Sussex and NSC. The doom and gloom emanating from this board was seriously depressing. We were third in the table for God sake and at 0-0, Fulham were having a passage, so what? I could feel an under belly of 'fans' just coiling up and ready to say how sh!t we were on this forum. It completely dried up after the first goal. I know we aren't the only fans that do this, I sometimes have a little read on other forums and it is all pretty much as is. But some people just want their team to fail purely so they can moan and I personally don't get it. Anyway the official match thread lost all the doomers after 23 mins and all was happy in our little bubble.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
IMO the 5-0 victory was as a result of the first 20 minutes, not in spite of. Hats off to Hughton from me on this one.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex

I know that McCormack had a couple of chances but can't recall Dembele doing anything for the 90 minutes. They all looked thoroughly pissed off toward the end with lots of 'blame game' going on....oh well, never mind eh'

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Yes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fulham played us off the park for the first 20 minutes, apart from having no end product. Then the penalty knocked the wind out of their sails and their heads went down.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm not sure any sensible manager would have a tactical game plan conceding possession and letting your opponents settle into the game building confidence especially if you are at home pushing for promotion. More likely Fulham just played quite well in the first 20 which they did.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fulham played us off the park for the first 20 minutes, apart from having no end product. Then the penalty knocked the wind out of their sails and their heads went down.

Sh!t happens when you don't have a great league position: Brighton 2014/15... c'est la vie.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I know that McCormack had a couple of chances but can't recall Dembele doing anything for the 90 minutes. They all looked thoroughly pissed off toward the end with lots of 'blame game' going on....oh well, never mind eh'

Agreed, but my post was just reflecting what Hughton said about the first 20-25 minutes only.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No. I thought Fulham played well for the first 20. Parker was running the midfield and we couldn't get the ball.

Their heads dropped pretty quickly and we were ****ing brilliant from then on.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Seriously anyone who thinks the first 20 mins was tactic is head mental !
Although Fulham didn't make Stockdale work in that time.
As soon as the 1st goal went in they fell apart

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Nothing to do with a game plan or tactics.

That was as dominant as I have seen by any opposition at The Amex for the opening 20 minutes. Fair play to Fulham.

The penalty came at the perfect time and the game changed from that moment.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Shit team starts brightly but fades after conceding SHOCKER.

We've just won 5 bloody 0 - and naturally people are finding something to whinge about.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Shit team starts brightly but fades after conceding SHOCKER.

We've just won 5 bloody 0 - and naturally people are finding something to whinge about.

I'm nearly gutted, if it weren't for those first 20 mins I'd have nothing to moan about :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here