Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks for you help is Sexist!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am a pretty liberal kind of chap and believe in going out of my way to make people feel comfortable but it appears i have reached my limit.

Is this really a ****ing thing???

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/c...12/one-word-everyone-should-stop-using-office

The one word everyone should stop using in the office

When a man edits, it’s called work. When a woman does, she’s helping out. (AMC)

In the Bible, Eve is created to serve Adam. “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him,” muses God in Genesis 2:18.

Twenty-first-century office culture is no exception. More than 3,000 years later, the word “help” is used all the time—particularly in reference to the work that women do.

In November, ex-Gawker writer Dayna Evans published a Medium post alleging insidious sexism at the publication. In a memo announcing the hire of editor-in-chief Alex Pareene, interim editor-in-chief Leah Beckmann’s is characterised in the following way:

Leah Beckmann deserves the gratitude and respect of all of us for stepping up as acting editor-in-chief of Gawker during a goddamned horrible time for the site’s staff….Please thank her for stepping into the breach and helping out.

When a man edits, it’s called work. When a woman does, she’s helping out.

I’ve heard it countless times, even from co-workers I consider attuned to gender equality. Once, as I was leaving a previous job, the CEO sent me an email thanking me for all of my help. It might be a slip of the tongue, but it makes genuine appreciation sound dismissive and a woman’s effort seem quaint.

It’s not just journalism. In February, Adam Grant and Sheryl Sandberg wrote in the New York Times that women often take a gendered role of “office housework” in corporate settings:

This is the sad reality in workplaces around the world: Women help more but benefit less from it. In keeping with deeply held gender stereotypes, we expect men to be ambitious and results-oriented, and women to be nurturing and communal. When a man offers to help, we shower him with praise and rewards. But when a woman helps, we feel less indebted. She’s communal, right? She wants to be a team player. The reverse is also true. When a woman declines to help a colleague, people like her less and her career suffers. But when a man says no, he faces no backlash. A man who doesn’t help is “busy”; a woman is “selfish.”

Thinking of women’s work as “help” might be one of the reasons with why there’s still a gender pay gap

I’m talking about situations where women are paid for the work they do. I’m all for a spirit of collaboration and generosity. But when it’s in a professional context, “helping” your colleagues or manager or reporters is by definition work.

The words we use matter. And the way we describe work affects how we think about it. Thinking of women’s work as “help” might be one of the reasons with why there’s still a gender pay gap, not to mention severe underrepresentation of women in leadership positions across industries.

As Soraya Chemaly wrote for Quartz earlier this year: “The message that women’s time and work is inherently less valuable than that of their male peers’ is a systemic one.” Do us all a favour and keep thanking colleagues for their work, their ideas, even their attitudes. But never for their help.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am a pretty liberal kind of chap and believe in going out of my way to make people feel comfortable but it appears i have reached my limit.

Is this really a ****ing thing???

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/c...12/one-word-everyone-should-stop-using-office

The one word everyone should stop using in the office

When a man edits, it’s called work. When a woman does, she’s helping out. (AMC)

In the Bible, Eve is created to serve Adam. “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him,” muses God in Genesis 2:18.

Twenty-first-century office culture is no exception. More than 3,000 years later, the word “help” is used all the time—particularly in reference to the work that women do.

In November, ex-Gawker writer Dayna Evans published a Medium post alleging insidious sexism at the publication. In a memo announcing the hire of editor-in-chief Alex Pareene, interim editor-in-chief Leah Beckmann’s is characterised in the following way:

Leah Beckmann deserves the gratitude and respect of all of us for stepping up as acting editor-in-chief of Gawker during a goddamned horrible time for the site’s staff….Please thank her for stepping into the breach and helping out.

I’ve heard it countless times, even from co-workers I consider attuned to gender equality. Once, as I was leaving a previous job, the CEO sent me an email thanking me for all of my help. It might be a slip of the tongue, but it makes genuine appreciation sound dismissive and a woman’s effort seem quaint.

It’s not just journalism. In February, Adam Grant and Sheryl Sandberg wrote in the New York Times that women often take a gendered role of “office housework” in corporate settings:

This is the sad reality in workplaces around the world: Women help more but benefit less from it. In keeping with deeply held gender stereotypes, we expect men to be ambitious and results-oriented, and women to be nurturing and communal. When a man offers to help, we shower him with praise and rewards. But when a woman helps, we feel less indebted. She’s communal, right? She wants to be a team player. The reverse is also true. When a woman declines to help a colleague, people like her less and her career suffers. But when a man says no, he faces no backlash. A man who doesn’t help is “busy”; a woman is “selfish.”

Thinking of women’s work as “help” might be one of the reasons with why there’s still a gender pay gap

I’m talking about situations where women are paid for the work they do. I’m all for a spirit of collaboration and generosity. But when it’s in a professional context, “helping” your colleagues or manager or reporters is by definition work.

The words we use matter. And the way we describe work affects how we think about it. Thinking of women’s work as “help” might be one of the reasons with why there’s still a gender pay gap, not to mention severe underrepresentation of women in leadership positions across industries.

As Soraya Chemaly wrote for Quartz earlier this year: “The message that women’s time and work is inherently less valuable than that of their male peers’ is a systemic one.” Do us all a favour and keep thanking colleagues for their work, their ideas, even their attitudes. But never for their help.

Lesbian.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
But most of the time they don't help?![emoji15]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What a load of b0110cks.

..... with hind sight that is probably sexist as well so I'll balance it with, what a load of f@nny.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Perhaps it is an American thing to only say it to women because I've always said 'thanks for your help' to anybody that helps me at work and I've always had it said to me too.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Perhaps it is an American thing to only say it to women because I've always said 'thanks for your help' to anybody that helps me at work and I've always had it said to me too.
This.

And incidentally, Eve, by definition as a helper, is not a servant but rather, someone who works alongside.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Disgraceful actions, I hope you were SACKED!! :moo:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have just wasted two minutes of my life trying to fathom that all out and I still haven't got a scooby!!

Can anyone help?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Perhaps if I go to church more often...????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here