Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential situation with Man City, Bayern Munich, the Champions League and Pep Guardeiola

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
So supposing both Man City and Bayern avoid each other in tomorrows Semi Final draw it is conceivable that the two teams could meet in the final.

It is also conceivable that by that point Man City have finished 5th in the Premier League and their only route into the Champions League for next season is to beat Bayern in the final and lift the trophy.

Now what a strange situation we'd have on our hands in that case. With Pep in charge of Bayern for the last time before taking over City he knows that should his Bayern team beat City he will not personally be managing in the Champions League next season.

Can you imagine the fallout in Germany if Bayern failed to turn up in the final and meekly folded to the City slickers?

Could be a very interesting set of circumstances and not all than unfeasible. I hope it happens, would be an intriguing final!

Jim in the West

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting, but unfortunately highly unlikely to happen. Mainly as Citeh will finish 4th (as long as de Bruyne stays fit), but also as I cannot see them beating any of the other semi-finalists in the Champions Lge.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Interesting, but unfortunately highly unlikely to happen. Mainly as Citeh will finish 4th (as long as de Bruyne stays fit), but also as I cannot see them beating any of the other semi-finalists in the Champions Lge.

If Liverpool win Europa then 4th is not good enough.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If Liverpool win Europa then 4th is not good enough.
Does this mean that if City won the Champions League and Liverpool won the Europa then only the top two would qualify through the PL?

I don't know how it works but presumed we'd get an extra place.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Does this mean that if City won the Champions League and Liverpool won the Europa then only the top two would qualify through the PL?

I don't know how it works but presumed we'd get an extra place.

The 4th spot is at risk if an English club wins the CL, but not if an English club wins the EL - as I understand it. So, the maximum number of English clubs could be 5. Spain had 5 in this year's CL, due to Sevilla winning the EL.

Edit: so, if Man Utd finished 4th (and City 5th), but Liverpool won the EL and City won the CL, Utd would lose their spot.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The 4th spot is at risk if an English club wins the CL, but not if an English club wins the EL - as I understand it. So, the maximum number of English clubs could be 5. Spain had 5 in this year's CL, due to Sevilla winning the EL.

Edit: so, if Man Utd finished 4th (and City 5th), but Liverpool won the EL and City won the CL, Utd would lose their spot.
But Barca won the CL too. I'm even more confused now!

WhingForPresident

Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sorry, where's the confusion? There can be a maximum of 5 teams in the Champions League from one country. If Man City and Liverpool finish outside of the top 4 but win the Champions League and the Europa League, the bottom placed qualifier in the league would surrender their place so that the top 3 plus City and Liverpool qualified. Surely, that's simple?

Also, Pep Guardiola presumably has no interest in what Pep Guardeiola is up to with his life.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This confusion is all my fault for missing an important point myself. Five teams qualify if a team from outside the top four wins either the Champion's League or the Europa League. No association is allowed more than five slots though. So while fourth could, potentially, not be good enough, the only reason it'd be an issue is if City won the Champion's League, which makes the whole issue meaningless as they'll have qualified anyway.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm sorry, where's the confusion? There can be a maximum of 5 teams in the Champions League from one country. If Man City and Liverpool finish outside of the top 4 but win the Champions League and the Europa League, the bottom placed qualifier in the league would surrender their place so that the top 3 plus City and Liverpool qualified. Surely, that's simple?

Also, Pep Guardiola presumably has no interest in what Pep Guardeiola is up to with his life.

It's simple now someone has explained it. It wasn't when lots of contradictory statements were being made. Thanks for the clarification and I'd be happy to fetch you a ladder to assist with your dismount.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Back to the original point - Guardiola hasn't won the Champions League with Bayern, so any notion that he would try to "throw" the game if it was against City, for the sake of next season, is complete bunkum.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

4th spot is only at risk if all of the following happens -

Man City win the Champions League
Liverpool win the Europa League
Man City finish 5th or lower.

If Man City win the CL and finish in the top 4 it would still leave a 5th space open for Liverpool without the need to prevent the side that finishes 4th from qualifying.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014

What's also interesting is that if, as unlikely as it sounds, both City and Liverpool win their respective trophies but land outside the top four only the first three go into the Champions League. No country is allowed more than five teams.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Back to the original point - Guardiola hasn't won the Champions League with Bayern, so any notion that he would try to "throw" the game if it was against City, for the sake of next season, is complete bunkum.

I very much doubt he would "throw" the game, however if Bayern were to loose that game against City there would be lots of accusations levied against him from Bayern fans I'd have thought. "Not 100% focused" etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
At the end of the day, seeing as Pellegrini didn't say he was stepping down anyway, I think it is massively disrespectful towards him to appoint another manager for the following season well before the current season is over.

Pellegrini comes across as a decent bloke to me. I hope the Guardiola appointment blows up in Citeh's face big time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7367727 said:
I very much doubt he would "throw" the game, however if Bayern were to loose that game against City there would be lots of accusations levied against him from Bayern fans I'd have thought. "Not 100% focused" etc.

Only from idiots though, to be fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here