Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i360 lights

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
They've started lighting the tower up, it looks beautiful...they've been playing with the controls and doing all sorts, at the moment it looks like a giant candle

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't get the fuss, its an attraction on the seafront of probably Britain's most famous seaside resort, it would only have been built in Brighton or Blackpool, its the modern day pier if you like.
However, a world attraction (BA advert) I don't think so, I cant see it bringing that many more people to Brighton just because of the i360, it will be used by the normal visitors and some locals I think, in the same way that the London Eye does not make people fly to London from all over the world just to go on it.
On the flip side, you need decent weather and even when you get that the view is not exactly mind blowing (the sea, a coast, a coast and some slate roofs with some hills in the background)
Is the restaurant 3 Michelin stars though, that's the most important question.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't get the fuss, its an attraction on the seafront of probably Britain's most famous seaside resort, it would only have been built in Brighton or Blackpool, its the modern day pier if you like.
However, a world attraction (BA advert) I don't think so, I cant see it bringing that many more people to Brighton just because of the i360, it will be used by the normal visitors and some locals I think, in the same way that the London Eye does not make people fly to London from all over the world just to go on it.
On the flip side, you need decent weather and even when you get that the view is not exactly mind blowing (the sea, a coast, a coast and some slate roofs with some hills in the background)
If we continue to not do stuff like this then we get left behind. It's a positive thing that will just add to Brighton's profile. I don't think there's a fuss, it's just good common sense.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If we continue to not do stuff like this then we get left behind. It's a positive thing that will just add to Brighton's profile. I don't think there's a fuss, it's just good common sense.

Sorry that is sort of what I meant, it suits Brighton seafront, by the fuss I meant the people who don't want it or like it.
I just cannot see it as the massive attraction that will bring a lot more people to Brighton just to go up it as advertised, it will be used by people already there, in my opinion.
Unlike The Eden Project that has really attracted more people to Cornwall all year round just to go there. (see Beeding cement works thread)

Fungus

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 21, 2004
Truro
Couldn't we have just kept the old power station chimneys, and put lights on them?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

The London Eye is great because the London skyline is probably more impressive than any other city in the world.

On the other hand Brighton's skyline has nothing to offer. And what else will there be to see from the top of that damned tower except for the Channel (which you can see perfectly adequately from ground level) and the Downs which look much much more impressive from the Weald.

I forecast it will be a real white elephant. People who do go up it once will surely not be interested in repeating the experience.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I hate the fact that the council aren't granting a licence to the wheel, because they are so freightened of it taking money from their giant tube. I don't mind the tube really, but it's the private money, and the way they are blocking the wheel carrying on. I will miss it when it's gone. With the i360, it doesn't matter how much you light it up, it's still a giant gray tube.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I think it looks okay. Also not sure I agree that it wont be popular. Whenever I go to places I go up their highest tower,why wont people do the same here?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well I like it. The tower is ridiculously huge, I for one am really looking forward to having a go on it.

it's a tourist attraction, tourists and day-trippers love this sort of thing and that is who it thre for. Seeing as we attract more visitors than any other seaside resort in the country one-off visits should be more than ample to make it a success. Not too mention the knock on effect of attracting more visitors to that end of the beach and hopefully turning around the fortunes of places such as Preston St whic has really been in decline over the last two decades.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well I like it. The tower is ridiculously huge, I for one am really looking forward to having a go on it.

it's a tourist attraction, tourists and day-trippers love this sort of thing and that is who it thre for. Seeing as we attract more visitors than any other seaside resort in the country one-off visits should be more than ample to make it a success. Not too mention the knock on effect of attracting more visitors to that end of the beach and hopefully turning around the fortunes of places such as Preston St whic has really been in decline over the last two decades.

Exactly. The restaurant and the wedding venue will be hugely popular too.

Of course, we could just never build anything anywere and all sit here and rot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here