Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry fan wins justice

In fairness, the critical evidence about what truly happened came from a police officer, "PC X". Part of the scandal is that the back-room bureaucrats in both the Police Service and the CPS had such difficulty in recognising the truth in the evidence that was available to them. The Judge's comment to the effect that Society isn't like that these days is also disturbing.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Wow, what a disgrace. I hadn't heard of that until this story

the thing that surprises me is that the compensation was in the high 5 figures. Given what some people get (admittedly reported in the media) this seems massively low.

The guy was arrested without reason, repeatedly assaulted, not allowed to leave home on match days and the victim of a cover up. Wouldn't have been surprised to see well over £100,000

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I find it incredible that PC Allsop has kept his job, no matter what WMP's internal processes say.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What is reported to have happened to the fan is truly shocking and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The response of the more senior Officer and the subsequent investigation would appear to have been materially less than ideal too.

I do wonder, however, if the fan wasn't a touch stupid (deliberately provocative?) in the first instance. The report states that it all started when the fan approached PC Allsop to ask why he wasn't wearing his shoulder tags. If Allsop was the type of Officer to not wear his tags when policing a football game, is not reasonable to conclude that he'd also be the type of Officer who would be unlikely to respond well to a fan approaching him to ask why not? If the fan was that concerned about the lack of tags, why not take some video and photos and then submit it to the force for investigation (followed by the press if no response was forthcoming) later on, when he was safely at home; particularly if he was, as is the case here, in sole charge of his son who was a minor? Self preservation, and all that...

Smiley Miley

Jan 16, 2015
Felpham
They hid the evidence of PC X from the FSF lawyers despite numerous requests and therefore that makes them corrupt.

The video footage in the stadium is enough evidence to basically bring a criminal case against Allsop who clearly thinks he is above the law. No epaulettes and an illegal strangle hold clearly proves he was there for trouble and to avoid recognition.

A final warning is spent in 18 months and he will be free to fight another day, anybody else in their line of work found guilty of assault would be frog marched off the premises with instant dismissal, therefore WMP are bent as.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Smiley Miley

Jan 16, 2015
Felpham
Per this article http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/12/footb...ault-by-west-midlands-police-officer-5811752/ it states that "Another officer intervened and later told his superiors about PC Allsop’s conduct. An investigation was launched and PC Allsop was given a final written warning."

If the officer assaulted him while on duty and tried to cover up, then why did he not loose his job?

Because WMP are corrupt and treat all football fans as low life scum as they have done since the seventies

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've said it before and I'll state it again, the officers that police forces send to police football matches are generally utter thugs who see us football supporters as scum. I'll quote, yet again, a Met police office I once met in a bar on holiday who used to police Palace games : "Many of us volunteer to police football matches not just because it often means overtime but there is often the opportunity to put a fist or a boot in as nobody's ever going to believe a football supporter".

Good on PC X and utter shame on West Midlands Police for trying to cover it up.

EDIT : I also note that there were at least two officers, possibly three, in that video not wearing their tags. One can be classed as a mistake - more than that then it's a deliberate ploy to hide their identity and probably agreed amongst other officers to turn a blind eye.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Had this been the other way around I can just see a supporter getting away with a written warning.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Shocking story.... The kind of thing one sees in American tv progs. The difference is, in "Chicago PD" the one getting the treatment is always a real criminal and the policeman saves the day by using off-book methods.
In real life , it is the police acting out of petty frustration and anger. The cover up is the worst part.

Jan 30, 2008
it's been going on for years, look back too when they tried to break up some of the big firms and the court cases got thrown out due to bad policing of the cases, now we got paid up FIO'S on jolly ups abroad and all that sort of thing .......... COULDN'T MAKE IT UP ???
regards
DR

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Good to see someone fighting back - but to many this isn't news...

I personally have seen things written in black and white by Sussex Police which I know 100% are complete lies. I doubt they are quite as bad as WMP but things aren't all that different around here...

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
All the time the courts continue to find guilty and issue banning orders for every case where its their word against yours...the Police will always have the temptation to make things up and will continue to do so!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Per this article http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/12/footb...ault-by-west-midlands-police-officer-5811752/ it states that "Another officer intervened and later told his superiors about PC Allsop’s conduct. An investigation was launched and PC Allsop was given a final written warning."

If the officer assaulted him while on duty and tried to cover up, then why did he not loose his job?

Because WMP are corrupt and treat all football fans as low life scum as they have done since the seventies

Along with South Yorkshire Police. You can add whichever force is responsible for Kidderminster to that list-treated us like animals the last time we were there. I think they used our game for police dog training-never seen so many dogs at a low key, meaningless football match.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Along with South Yorkshire Police. You can add whichever force is responsible for Kidderminster to that list-treated us like animals the last time we were there. I think they used our game for police dog training-never seen so many dogs at a low key, meaningless football match.
I remember that, think they had Cardiff at home next and the OB decided to get some practise in.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
If you have a problem with a member of the police .you are not up against a person but fighting a system and unfortunately the courts usually listen to the system .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here