Mar 10, 2013
About time

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All very commendable, worthwhile and interesting but I suspect the major blocker can be summed up in this part of the article :

“The owner of the option on the site has said that for the right price, and with a plan that he approves, he will sell the land.”

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On, you mean BEEDING cement works!?

Never in my 45 years have I heard it referred to as Shoreham (yes I know that's what the article calls it, and what it is probably really named).

Plans look great, but far fetched. Never going to happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Regency Society will complain it doesn't suit Brighton. Never going to happen.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think a football stadium would be perfect for this site.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A river would flow through the development, giving the eco-village a Venice-like feel. Only zero-carbon buses would run through the site, with cars left on the outskirts at a park and ride facility.
There would be office space, restaurants and shops, a visitor’s centre for the national park, an outdoor activities centre, and even a zipwire to travel from one end of the chalk pit to the other.
There are plans for a primary school, health centre and an auditorium.

None of which will happen in favour of even more homes, loosely termed 'affordable'.

The trip from Chichester to Bognor has become even more depressing than usual, with new 'towns' built above Bersted and Felpham.
This is continuing through Lyminster then onto Angmering (above Worthing RFC), all the homes, not a lot of infrastructure.

I don't imagine the Climping road will remain farmland for much longer.

Still I guess we should be grateful for one new road, everything else should cope just fine.

el punal

On, you mean BEEDING cement works!?

Never in my 45 years have I heard it referred to as Shoreham (yes I know that's what the article calls it, and what it is probably really named).

Plans look great, but far fetched. Never going to happen.

Sorry Hans, having lived in Steyning and having had to pass that monstrosity every day for years, it was always known as Shoreham cement works - may have been a local thing though. I suppose it's the same as people from Sussex always refer to the Palace pier, not Brighton.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sorry Hans, having lived in Steyning and having had to pass that monstrosity every day for years, it was always known as Shoreham cement works - may have been a local thing though. I suppose it's the same as people from Sussex always refer to the Palace pier, not Brighton.

Dacre Gardens surely?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
1. West Sussex County Council Compulsory Purchase the site

2. Remove the Asbestos from the buildings

3. Demolish buildings, especially that bloody chimney stack

4. Use site as a Landfill for next 20 or so years

5. Cap landfill and landscape so it returns to original profile

6. Jobs a Good 'un

Sadly not going to happen...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Three points to make.
1. The eventual development will be high rise and high density housing without the frills.
2. The SDNP is more for urbanising the South Downs than protection.
3. Out of interest, who owns Dudman? Private Equity firm? Very clever site, Shoreham Cement works, to have an interest in. They also have a yard area on Shoreham Harbour. They push gravel around 24 hours a day, which local residents complain about. Cue the next 2,000 housing development.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Looks amazing. They should definitely do this. What's not to like?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As lovers of derelict industrial buildings and spaces I took Mrs Knocky on a surprise Xmas Day outing 4 years back. We walked from the South Downs Way and broke into the back of the site and had a brilliant nosey around. After 2 hours we spotted a security guard and Alsatian and beat a hasty retreat but had a great Christmas morning.
Would love to go to Chernobyl next Christmas.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sort of ambitious, large scale development we need if we are to address housing. probably need to tone down the zero carbon to something more real life (you cart weekly shopping on the bus). sadly i expect the nation park will be the impetus for objections.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
sort of ambitious, large scale development we need if we are to address housing. probably need to tone down the zero carbon to something more real life (you cart weekly shopping on the bus). sadly i expect the nation park will be the impetus for objections.

Again, why...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here