Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MPs empolying Family members.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
where's the problem? its only a racket if those family members are being paid over market rate for their role, or not really doing a job. but MP's need those roles and they only have a finite budget, so i cant see how they'd disadvantage themselves by squardering it. more likely the opposite, the family member will take a modest salary and work longer hours than you'd resonably expect some one to do so normally.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
same here,can't see a problem too much either......i am open to why and what the pitfalls are..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No application of the post. In any form of media. No interview.

so to be clear, you want to outlaw all family businesses? no jobs for friends or other contacts? or being deliberatly controversial? do grow up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
so to be clear, you want to outlaw all family businesses? no jobs for friends or other contacts? or being deliberatly controversial? do grow up.

Exactly. My ex was a driving instructor at one point. I was paid a wage for answering the phone, making appts., and book keeping.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester

It's different though isn't it, because it's public money. As long as they are paid an industry standard salary and actually work proper hours, I see no problem. However, looking at the list there are lots of part time positions. I would how many hours can constitute part time. 8 hours a week?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I don't have a problem with it.

I'd agree to a point. The issue isn't with members of the family working for a given MP as such. It's not even if the person in question is the best available (though it would be nice to know that the bar is set quite high). The point being that whether that person is there on genuine merit or whether they're there through nepotism.

As has been pointed out, this is public money we're talking about, so it would be good to know exactly what values any given person brings to a role. Bearing in mind an MP has a certain amount of expenses to spend on staff, some may well seek that opportunity to merely keep the money in-house.

If it goes unchecked, you'll only get more Henry Conways.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's different though isn't it, because it's public money. As long as they are paid an industry standard salary and actually work proper hours, I see no problem. However, looking at the list there are lots of part time positions. I would how many hours can constitute part time. 8 hours a week?

Are they saving public money by working from home? If the job was advertised, would the MP have to rent an office, provide equipment etc?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
I have no problem with it as long as the person employed is qualified to carry out the tasks. There are many ways in which it could be more productive.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My mrs has a craft business and does various events around East Sussex, I sometimes go along to help her put the gazebo up and lug a few boxes around. I then have a kip or listen to my ipod. I get rewarded with a few coppers for a pint or a cake. Are you really saying that this is corruption of the highest order or did you just want to start another (pointless) thread ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here