Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Appreciation for Iñigo Calderón

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
As you know, we're hosting the Inigo Calderon Apprecation Evening this Sunday.

What we'd like to do is take some testimonials from fans, and get them printed up on to board (long pieces) or post-its (short notices), and place them around the room. This is especially pertinent for those not coming.

So, should you wish, can you leave your thoughts, memories, appreciation and best wishes below, and we'll see about taking a selection to get printed up.

Be nice.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I often reminisce of the amazing Saturday nights/Sunday mornings that we spent making passionate love to each other, then we would just sit for hours in each others arms, as I picked little bits of paella from his beard. Wonderful memories. Thanks Inigo.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My youngest son saw him & his children playing table tennis down the Marina once, so stood and watched from afar for a few minutes. Inigo asked him over and let him join in & play for a while...lovely guy. Since then my son has only worn #14 for the 2 football clubs he has played for.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
As you know, we're hosting the Inigo Calderon Apprecation Evening this Sunday.

What we'd like to do is take some testimonials from fans, and get them printed up on to board (long pieces) or post-its (short notices), and place them around the room. This is especially pertinent for those not coming.

So, should you wish, can you leave your thoughts, memories, appreciation and best wishes below, and we'll see about taking a selection to get printed up.

Be nice.

Here's a little thing I wrote...

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?463-Vote-Calde!

In January 2010, Gus Poyet began the process of improving the club, by signing a Spanish right back nobody had ever heard of. Within weeks he became a fans' favourite, with his technical ability, swashbuckling play, massive will to win and huge CHARM.

Whatever the immediate future holds, I can think of very, very few players in the club's history, more deserving of the accolade 'Albion Legend'. A terrific player, and an absolute GENTLEMAN.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Calde is a gentleman and a scholar. We have been very fortunate to have had such a man at our club, and he can play a bit too.

This quote, used by [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] as his signature sums him up the great man perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

Edit:

And as if by Magic, the guy who posted it appears above this.
[MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The term legend is over used in football, but for this man it is the only word. Gives everything on the pitch, gives everything off it. A fantastic role model for young and old fans alike.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The word 'legend' can be overused in football and when you look at it deep down, it's very rare that the 'legend' really fits the criteria. Inigo Calderon is different - he fits the legend word 10 times over. Always 100% committed on the pitch (and a terrific player), always gives time to the fans, always gives time to help others and turned down more money to stay here out of loyalty. There is no better man in our squad and Calde will be remembered by us forever. Legend.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The term legend is over used in football, but for this man it is the only word. Gives everything on the pitch, gives everything off it. A fantastic role model for young and old fans alike.

haha great minds.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This quote, used by [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] as his signature sums him up the great man perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

Edit:

And as if by Magic, the guy who posted it appears above this.
[MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION]

I think this pretty much sums it up for me.

Strangely i was watching Withdean Years last night and it was the DVD where he signed. I quite honestly cannot think of another player (in 28 years of Albion fanship) that has had such a positive and uniting influence on the fans and the community. He seems to be at every community event (and many more we don't know about I am sure) and always gives 100% when on the pitch even when played out of position.

He is someone that the club and fans can be proud of and young kids should look up to as how to be a footballer the right way

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
A couple of years ago I was cycling through Hove and spotted the great man. Found myself stopping and saying hello. I suddenly had the thought that having a stranger come up to you might be a bit annoying ! But Calde couldn't have been more friendly or chatty. We had a chat about the Albion and then spoke about cycling (I was riding my then brand new road bike ) - I am 10 years older than Calde but for those 10 minutes it was as if I was a wide eyed child!!! I have been watching the Albion for 37 years and in terms of an all round decent human being and a good footballer Calde is No.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I saw him is town once and blew him a kiss. He laughed. I shall treasure that memory, always.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I met him after a Withdean game where he scored an OG, I think he chested it into our net or something? (Can someone help me with this?)

He seemed a bit embarrassed to be meeting a fan, as it was clear he felt he had let the side down. I don't think I've ever met a footballer who seems more of a genuinely nice and down-to-earth human being than Calde.

Saw him out and about a number of times in the town or down the Marina with Baz, Battipiedi, Brezovan, and other foreign players who were new to the area at the time. Has always been happy to stop for a chat. He's put so many hours in that he really hasn't needed to, helping other players settle in the area and being a really fantastic ambassador for the club.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Remember when he was talking to Southampton and 90% of this forum went in to meltdown and didn't have a nice word to say about him?

:lolol:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I saw him in town once, he blew me a kiss. I laughed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here