Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT - Degree required when hiring

2 Not allowed!
    I noticed that on some job adverts (like some recently advertised ones on here) the description will request a 'degree in anything' as part of the requirements.

I really donít understand the importance of this to the application/hiring process. If you choose to start employment after obtaining A-Levels or even GCSEs then you have gained an additional 3-5 years of experience in business instead of obtaining an irrelevant degree and putting yourself in debt.

Now obviously the details of the experience will be a key factor in the hiring process, but by stating at the outset you will need a 'degree in anything' means those who chose this path are not even getting a chance to show their additional experience.

I'm one of those who decided not to attend university and left education after my A-Levels. Now having built a 12 year career in financial services, I would find it more than insulting if, I couldnít be considered for a position because I didnít spend 3 years partying, living like a tramp, getting £30k in debt and coming away with a degree in art.

Am I missing something?
    "He scores with his face......."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Chinman3000 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Am I missing something?
      3 years partying?
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

8 Not allowed!
      It shows a aptitude to research, study and learn at a certain level. Contrary to popular belief, there's no such thing as a 'useless' degree.

0 Not allowed!
      I noticed that on some job adverts (like some recently advertised ones on here) the description will request a 'degree in anything' as part of the requirements.

I really donít understand the importance of this to the application/hiring process. If you choose to start employment after obtaining A-Levels or even GCSEs then you have gained an additional 3-5 years of experience in business instead of obtaining an irrelevant degree and putting yourself in debt.

Now obviously the details of the experience will be a key factor in the hiring process, but by stating at the outset you will need a 'degree in anything' means those who chose this path are not even getting a chance to show their additional experience.

I'm one of those who decided not to attend university and left education after my A-Levels. Now having built a 12 year career in financial services, I would find it more than insulting if, I couldnít be considered for a position because I didnít spend 3 years partying, living like a tramp, getting £30k in debt and coming away with a degree in art.

Am I missing something?
      Funnily I did think the same thing when I saw the degree required post.

I'm in the same boat as you, straight into work from school.
      Have great experience in my field and and generally more life-experience than my friends who stumbled out of uni a few years ago and still trying to work things out.
      I've essentially had a 10 year head start.

However, this is the first job advertised requiring a degree that I've seen in a long time.

I've not one friend or colleague who has said anything that would indicate Uni being hard work. Aside from the dissertation.
      They were all out at least 2-3 nights per week and living of pasta and Fosters.

That said, obviously some degrees are required for particular roles (Law/Medicine/Engineering etc).
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      According to a recent equality and diversity training session I went on, unless the degree is relevant to the job, that could be indirect discrimination on the basis of age. You are essentially discriminating against anyone under 21 (since most people with a degree will need to have spent at least 3 years at Uni and are generally not younger than 18 when they start). The qualities of study and application can be demonstrated through other means (college for example, good school records/references.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
      It shows a aptitude to research, study and learn at a certain level. Contrary to popular belief, there's no such thing as a 'useless' degree.
      Is that a quote from a UCAS promotion??!

I understand the point but you could also say 'Finding employement shows a drive to put yourself out there and work hard to get where you want to be. There is no such thing as unless experience.'
      "He scores with his face......."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
      Don't industry specific qualifications also show this but are more relevant? I'm the same as Chinman, left school after A-Levels and despite having 12+ years experience and industry recognised qualifications in my role, there are some jobs I wouldn't get through the door as I don't have a degree.

1 Not allowed!
      Is that a quote from a UCAS promotion??!

I understand the point but you could also say 'Finding employement shows a drive to put yourself out there and work hard to get where you want to be. There is no such thing as unless experience.'
      Experience and having a degree are not mutually exclusive. The best applicants gain experience in relevant fields while studying for their degree.

3 Not allowed!
      It's called lazy recruitment, they don't have to sift through as many CVs and can just delete any without a degree.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brightn'ove View Post
      It's called lazy recruitment, they don't have to sift through as many CVs and can just delete any without a degree.
      Agreed and pretty ancient recruiting requirement unless especially for qualification requirements because it is required.

Probably wouldn't want to work for a company like that
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010