Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 Wins - 2 defeats - from the Premier League???

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Sorry to start a thread similar to others - but I find the following interesting! …

In the lifetime of the Championship (11 seasons), every team finishing with 87 points has gained automatic promotion.

In 2000 and 2001, Ipswich & Bolton finished 3rd with 87 points (when League 1). Both won the playoffs and were promoted anyway.

In season 1997/8 Sunderland finished 3rd with 90 points and failed to gain promotion.

In 2008 & 2013 our current 78 points would already be sufficient for auto promotion - with 5 games in hand.

Just find a way to win three more games and we'll either be promoted or be the unluckiest Championship club for almost 20 years!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry to start a thread similar to others - but I find the following interesting! …

In the lifetime of the Championship (11 seasons), every team finishing with 87 points has gained automatic promotion.

In 2000 and 2001, Ipswich & Bolton finished 3rd with 87 points (when League 1). Both won the playoffs and were promoted anyway.

In season 1997/8 Sunderland finished 3rd with 90 points and failed to gain promotion.

In 2008 & 2013 our current 78 points we would already be sufficient for auto promotion - with 5 games in hand.

Just find a way to win three more games and we'll either be promoted or be the unluckiest Championship club for almost 20 years!

It's perfectly possible that a team could fail to go up with 90 points this year.

In fact, if we draw with Boro and win all our other games and Boro draw with us and Burnley and win all their other games and Burnley win all their other games: we'd fail to go up with 91 points

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All we know for sure is :

- 5 wins means Premier League.

- The earliest we could in theory go up is at Charlton.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
However you do the maths, and my complicated spreadsheet calculates all possibilities, it's down to the last game unless Burnley do a Spieth. I have us on 90 and needing a result last game.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Er - forget Stats. This season is different. Hull & Derby have cracked but I can see Boro going all the way. Burnley may struggle with their next 3 tough fixtures but I'm firmly in the 'we need 5 wins' camp for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Win our next 3 and we will be firmly in the box seat.

unlikely though, things just dont go like that

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I still think 89 points could do it, but that's banking on Burnley stumbling and beginning to get the results their performances deserve ...

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
All we know for sure is :

- 5 wins means Premier League.

- The earliest we could in theory go up is at Charlton.

Your right!

If Brighton win 5 (93 Points)
Then If Borough beat Burnley; Borough max = 94; Burnley max = 92
Else If Borough don't beat Burnley; Borough max=92; Burnley max =95
End If
End If

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Birmingham 1 Burnley 0
Burnley 2 Middlesbrough 3

Albion 1 Fulham 0
Albion 1 QPR 0

We'll be so close to PL, it will be insane.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Win our next 3 and we will be firmly in the box seat.

unlikely though, things just dont go like that

With you on the next 3, although we're only supposed to think one game ahead. I said this ahead of yesterday's game that I wouldn't be surprised if we went on to win the next 4.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
In 2008 & 2013 our current 78 points would already be sufficient for auto promotion - with 5 games in hand.

I think this point alone shows how pointless it is to compare to previous years.

3 more wins will only be enough either if Burnley drop 9 points out of the 15 available to them, or Boro drop 11 points out of the 18 available to them. I just cannot see either of those happening.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With you on the next 3, although we're only supposed to think one game ahead. I said this ahead of yesterday's game that I wouldn't be surprised if we went on to win the next 4.

We and teams just dont win 6 on the trot in this league.

We will slip up somewhere and it will be total melt down on here, just hoping the run can go on a bit longer to pressure Boro and Burnley into some poor results also.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's perfectly possible that a team could fail to go up with 90 points this year.

In fact, if we draw with Boro and win all our other games and Boro draw with us and Burnley and win all their other games and Burnley win all their other games: we'd fail to go up with 91 points

It's mathematically possible, but very unlikely that 3 teams will finish on 90 points or more at this stage, particularly with 2 of the remaining games being guaranteed to result in dropped points for one of the 3.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We and teams just dont win 6 on the trot in this league.

We will slip up somewhere and it will be total melt down on here, just hoping the run can go on a bit longer to pressure Boro and Burnley into some poor results also.

I'm sure others have won six on the trot in the past year or two, but I was only actually referring to five on the trot. We've notched off two of those and, again, I wouldn't put it past us to win the remaining three. That's not to say it will happen, or that I think that it will happen, although I remain of the view that it's by no means unlikely. IF it does happen, then we'll be in one hell of a strong position, because it's unlikely that Boro and Burnley will go on a similar run.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Attention to detail?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here