Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF on the last game of the season Boro and us are both three points clear of Burnley...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We would both only need a point for promotion.

Unlikely, but if this happened, would you be in favour of us both playing out a draw in questionable fashion?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Unlikely, but if this happened, would you be in favour of us both playing out a draw in questionable fashion?
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I were talking about this last night.

I just don't see how a game with such a high-profile in 2016 could be a manufactured draw.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I hope to lord it doesn't pan out that way -

But if it did - then I would rather try to win - and if we lost, then at least we have our pride.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be an incredibly difficult thing to do without making it completely bleeding obvious and bringing both clubs into disrepute. That's a 'Yes' then. :thumbsup:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
So for this to happen seems quite unlikely but I would be happy with that.

Brighton - I reckon we will get 8 points from the next 4 games, 86 points

Burnley - Birmingham, boro, Preston draws, QPR a win = 6 points, 86 points

Middlesboro - reading, Bolton, Ipswich wins, Birmingham and burnley draws = 11 points, 90 points

So boro will have to let us win about 15-0 to get second as burnley could not ask for an easier final game versus Charlton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So for this to happen seems quite unlikely but I would be happy with that.

Brighton - I reckon we will get 8 points from the next 4 games, 86 points

Burnley - Birmingham, boro, Preston draws, QPR a win = 6 points, 86 points

Middlesboro - reading, Bolton, Ipswich wins, Birmingham and burnley draws = 11 points, 90 points

So boro will have to let us win about 15-0 to get second as burnley could not ask for an easier final game versus Charlton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i reckon boro will thrash burnley........

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I were talking about this last night.

I just don't see how a game with such a high-profile in 2016 could be a manufactured draw.

Would be an incredibly difficult thing to do without making it completely bleeding obvious and bringing both clubs into disrepute. That's a 'Yes' then. :thumbsup:

There's a world of difference between a manufactured / agreed draw (see Germany v Austria, 1982, for further details) and both sides each playing for a draw. If both sides just set up their teams 4-5-1 and refuse to commit players forward all game, a 0-0 is almost nailed on.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think both sides would be too paranoid at conceding a goal to play out a draw. Although if it's level with 10 minutes to go you'd imagine neither side would want to commit too many men forward.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If both sides just set up their teams 4-5-1 and refuse to commit players forward all game, a 0-0 is almost nailed on.

Beg to differ. How do you play 90 minutes without either side, say, conceding a corner, and the attacking team at least going through the motions of trying to score from it, without it looking like a blatant fix? Long old 90 minutes. Reckon any Gentleman's Agreement would quickly fall apart.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Yes.

I'd like our players to stay in our half and their players to stay in their half. Whichever team kicks off each half should withdraw with the ball, and never kick it into the oppositions half.

But it won't happen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you've got the ball at the back, and you're not under pressure from the opposition, why would you pass it forward and risk losing it? Similarly, if your opponents have got the ball close to their own goal and they are not showing signs of coming forward with it, you should be happy. Why would you pressure them and force them to punt it forward, which risks you letting a goal in?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Nothing could be done anyway if a draw was played out, just one of those things the fixtures falling as they have

I personally think it will be decided before the final game

If someone offered me we needed to go to Boro and win for promition now I would happily take it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes.

I'd like our players to stay in our half and their players to stay in their half. Whichever team kicks off each half should withdraw with the ball, and never kick it into the oppositions half.

But it won't happen.

Certainly won't happen with Stockdale's fiercely struck distribution out to the side, that evade most of our players most of the time. We'd be conceding a throw in our own half within minutes :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here