Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton tonight

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
From my vantage point tonight I saw Hughton looking the most animated I've ever seen him on the touch line. In the second half in particular, urging the players on to keep going forward. The TVs pics probably didn't show it as much as you could see from the stand but he put a shift in tonight. Yes, we didn't play well but it was all about belief and the manager encouraging the players to give it their all against a very spirited 2nd half display by Forest. This will go to the wire but in terms of managers I think we have the best.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In this day and age it is remarkable that in his interviews he never whinges, disses the opposition, slags off the referee or attempts to play mind games. There's no ego there whatsoever, just a very grounded football manager.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its almost tiresome repeating what a class act this fella is, but he REALLY is. Time and time again he gives credit where credit is due, and never offers up excuses or blames officials when we've fallen short. I'm beginning to think he is completely unique in that respect.

I'm curious to know whether he has ever completely LOST it in the dressing room. He must have a bollocking in his armoury - every manager needs one. It's the ones who hold it in special reserve who will be the most effective though. He's such a calm, considered, cerebral individual that if he ever raised his voice at me, I think I'd burst into tears.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Its almost tiresome repeating what a class act this fella is, but he REALLY is. Time and time again he gives credit where credit is due, and never offers up excuses or blames officials when we've fallen short. I'm beginning to think he is completely unique in that respect.

I'm curious to know whether he has ever completely LOST it in the dressing room. He must have a bollocking in his armoury - every manager needs one. It's the ones who hold it in special reserve who will be the most effective though. He's such a calm, considered, cerebral individual that if he ever raised his voice at me, I think I'd burst into tears.

I think it was reported on here that he gave them both barrels after the Rotherham game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It was telling that he didn't lay into Barton or respond to Dyche after the Burnley game, just focused on our own performance. That meant we didn't get dragged into a war of words and could focus on the two away games on our own terms

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think it was reported on here that he gave them both barrels after the Rotherham game.
Yes. It was Tweeted by a Rotherham journalist that Hughton was giving the players such a bollocking that it could be heard from outside the changing rooms. Our record since that night: W10, D4, L1 - 34 points in 15.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was reading in the weekend paper that Hughton would be happy to take a play off place if it comes to it. It did not look like it last night. That man is hungry for top two, he wants automatic and knows he can get it.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I am such an idiot I didn't want him appointed but wanted a manager like Sherwood. I am so pleased to have been proved wrong. I thought he would be really negative but he has played 4 4 2 most of the season and even when he hasn't like at Birmingham he has got it right. He never slags of the referee and talks about the team never himself. A brilliant manager and top bloke, so pleased he is our manager

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I like to think that IF we get promoted he'll be down West Street with his shirt unbuttoned, his tie tied around his head and a bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand singing totally obscene songs about Joey Barton and Sean Dyche.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
At the final whistle the `whole bench `went bananas. CC was the first to go for it, giving Chris a big smiley man hug.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Football is a team game and that includes the manager.

There is only one 'Player of the Season' for me..... Chris Hughton.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
On the TV just before the goal it looked like he was telling Knockheart to keep his width as he was getting too involved centrally. That gave him the space to receive the pass and attack the full back. Top manager who seems to have the ability to influence the game with his changes. No better manager in this league in my opinion.

el punal

I

I believe he had a right go at the players when we played Rotherham away, perhaps, maybe.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I agree with everything positive that everyone has said on here.

But it is his quiet dignity, honesty and control that most impresses me.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

In his post Rotherham match interview he actually lost his concentration. That was because you could tell he had no interest in doing the interview. He just wanted to get back into the dressing room and absolutely slaughter the players and he probably did, although he would never say publicly that he did.

Last night was very interesting watching him. He actually looked very disappointed during the match. I think you could see him thinking. ''All this work we have done all this season. All this effort the players have put in for over 40 games'' I think he saw it all slipping away from them last night but again he would never admit that publicly.

Then we scored and you could see it was such a relief and it showed in his emotions when we scored. Not only Chris but Colin as well AND all the players sitting on the bench they went absolutely mental. It makes you look at the Burnley celebrations against us and put in into perspective. We got last night the exact same as Burnley got against us. The only difference being when its against promotion rivals it is a 3 point difference between a draw and a win when its against the promotion rivals.

You could see what it meant to everyone last night to hunt down an automatic promotion place. That game could be a real learning curve for everyone and I hope it is. We are as good as any of the other two at the top. We just have to work hard and play well for 5 games and we will get it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I was reading in the weekend paper that Hughton would be happy to take a play off place if it comes to it. It did not look like it last night. That man is hungry for top two, he wants automatic and knows he can get it.

Of course he said that. he has got to try and manage fans, players and his own expectations BUT in reality if we are in the play offs now he will be gutted.

The play offs will be a major achievement from this season but when you get this close to the automatic places then is would be disappointing not to achieve it. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season is a bonus and if we don't go up then I am sure that next season we will be better team. However, we are so close that we have to give it everything in the final games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In this day and age it is remarkable that in his interviews he never whinges, disses the opposition, slags off the referee or attempts to play mind games. There's no ego there whatsoever, just a very grounded football manager.

You also note how all the other managers talk about him - real reverence and respect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here