Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leo Named on the Panama Papers List

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i very much expect a large number of people from football to show up, as many are foreign so having an offshore account makes sense for them.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Isn't it in fact his former imagine rights company that he no longer has dealings with ?

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Isn't it in fact his former imagine rights company that he no longer has dealings with ?

I hadn't realised that, but you're quite correct;

"In early 2008, when he was playing for San Lorenzo de Almagro in Argentina, Leo Ulloa signed over his economic and image rights to Jump Drive Sport Rights LLC, a company registered in New York.

On paper, Jump Drive’s director and shareholder weren’t people but instead two companies based in the South Pacific nation of Samoa. Jump Drive’s power of attorney was held by José Manuel García Osuna, a businessman and soccer administrator who is now facing fraud charges in Spain, including an allegation that he pocketed a large percentage of the money that Ulloa was supposed to receive for his image rights as well as for his signing contracts to move from one team to another.

Ulloa declined to discuss his image rights agreement or his dealings with Osuna. “I don’t have a good relationship with him now, but I don’t want to talk about it,” Ulloa said in a brief telephone interview."

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...s-become-enmeshed-in-offshore-world-1.2595555

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd be amazed if many footballers had any idea how and where their personal tax dealings are dealt with. I'd imagine they rock up to an established Tax Lawyers Co in the City and get given a huge bill for tax services, sign their name and walk away.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
South American "soccer administrator" in being completely dodgy SHOCKER!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No doubt 1066 is currently whipping up social media slactivists and arranging a protest outside Leo's house.

Dec 29, 2011
Have we missed something....who is paying no tax to the country they are in ? Cameron has paid £400,000 over six years....

Errrrr did you not read the link? Maybe a hundred people in high powered, high profile positions who are implicated in offshore tax avoidance schemes. I didn't mention DC and nor did the link

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Gonzalo Delaveu, head of global corruption watchdog Transparency International’s Chile branch (resigned 4 April 2016) made me chuckle.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'd be amazed if many footballers had any idea how and where their personal tax dealings are dealt with. I'd imagine they rock up to an established Tax Lawyers Co in the City and get given a huge bill for tax services, sign their name and walk away.

Most Footballers are above board nowadays. Hundreds of them went into the Film Partnership schemes years ago and HMRC retrospectively closed the reliefs and clawed all the tax back. After that happened they were all reluctant to get into these sort of ''hair brained'' schemes any more.

The ones who got into them they always say they are broke now because of bad advice in the past. BUT that's only because they spent all the tax savings they made then had to pay it all back with 100% Penalties on top. Most decent firms of Accountants always warned them off those schemes from the outset

I see Lionel Messi is on the list. I hope that's the one that the Spanish Authorities have actually already found because didn't he get a suspended prison sentence on the last tax evasion charge. If this is a separate one he will probably be heading to jail.

Must make sure Brighton don't try to sign him just in case. Don't want to be sitting top of the Premiership like Leicester then we lose Messi with 6 games to go then lose the league because of it

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Messi will head to England rather than jail.

You know this though anyway and you've made me come across all BG.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Most Footballers are above board nowadays. Hundreds of them went into the Film Partnership schemes years ago and HMRC retrospectively closed the reliefs and clawed all the tax back. After that happened they were all reluctant to get into these sort of ''hair brained'' schemes any more.

The ones who got into them they always say they are broke now because of bad advice in the past. BUT that's only because they spent all the tax savings they made then had to pay it all back with 100% Penalties on top. Most decent firms of Accountants always warned them off those schemes from the outset

I see Lionel Messi is on the list. I hope that's the one that the Spanish Authorities have actually already found because didn't he get a suspended prison sentence on the last tax evasion charge. If this is a separate one he will probably be heading to jail.

Must make sure Brighton don't try to sign him just in case. Don't want to be sitting top of the Premiership like Leicester then we lose Messi with 6 games to go then lose the league because of it

Indeed, now it's just hundreds of faceless SEIS investments!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here