Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quail

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
A bit of excitement here at home this morning.

A quail landed on our window cill, then dropped onto the ground and wandered about for about half an hour.

According to RSPB they are in decline and although they can be heard occasionally in the wild they are very rarely seen. What he was doing in suburban Westdene I don't know, although the Downs are immediately behind us.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I have no idea what a Quail would look like with feathers and a head.

Quail - Copy.jpg

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton

A quail landed on our window cill, then dropped onto the ground and wandered about for about half an hour.

According to RSPB they are in decline and although they can be heard occasionally in the wild they are very rarely seen. What he was doing in suburban Westdene I don't know, although the Downs are immediately behind us.
Very lucky spot! I've heard a few, but never seen one. (They're really not worth plucking and cooking- so tiny)

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I was working on a cruise ship in the med a few years back and during an electrical storm at sea a large flock of Quail, obviously discombobulated by the weather , suddenly descended on the ship. They were throwing themselves onto the deck and hitting the side of the hull and falling in to the sea. Hundreds were all over the decks and all the Brits on board were trying to save them etc. Meanwhile the crew were just collecting them up and lo and behold roast Quail was on the menu the very next night!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Very lucky spot! I've heard a few, but never seen one. (They're really not worth plucking and cooking- so tiny)

I've seen one in the back garden of my parents' house off Tongdean Lane. Their house backs onto the nature reserve, so perhaps a few off them live in the woods there?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Here in Hangleton we once had a pheasant wandering round the garden. Didn't have time to get my gun unfortunately.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And if you ever get the urge to hardboil the eggs as part of some fancy-schmancy recipe - don't. They take AGES to peel.

The first couple do but once you get into the swing of it the shells fly off- and that's with soft boiled ones

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1460379624391.jpg
I spotted this rare bird in a carpark earlier today

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Here in Hangleton we once had a pheasant wandering round the garden. Didn't have time to get my gun unfortunately.
We've had a quail in the garden before, probably not so uncommon out here in the rural hinterlands of east sussex, but we've only ever had the one. We get endless pheasants though. I think they over produced them this year, they are everywhere. I worked out a plan to catch them and went on line to check out how to pluck and gut one. I've done rabbits but never birds of any kind. Well...by the time the youtube guy had finished plucking I was already feeling queasy and then he said 'now we get to the really messy bit'.
I decided to let them be.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

el punal

I came home from work to find a peacock in our garden. As the buggers can't fly I presumed it did some hedge hopping to get to our abode. Anyway, I then committed a serious error of judgement - I fed it. Would he go away? No.

For five days he just strutted around our garden crapping everywhere and on everything. At the end of my tether I phoned the local vet. Was Percy (I'd named him by now) injured? No. Sorry can't help. I phoned a couple of stately homes. Would you like a spare peacock? No thanks. I phoned RSPB - a peacock is a domestic bird, we only deal with the wild stuff.

By now Percy had taken up squatters rights. He was not moving, even if his bowels were. Then out of the blue I received a call from the vet's surgery to say that someone kept peacocks in West End, a couple of miles from our house, and one was missing.

The said owner turned up at our house with a massive net to capture Percy. With the aplomb of a gladiator in the arena he cast his net over Percy - and failed. Percy buggered off in to the next garden, and then the next one, and the one after. I left the owner to it. I'm sure they met up eventually. In the meantime I had five days of peacock poo to clear up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We had 5 buzzards circling above our house a few days ago - they seem to be massively on the increase. Seen the odd quail whilst out running on the Downs - not often though given the amount of time I spend up there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here