Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching 'Ref Watch' on SSN

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
And it strikes me how PATHETIC the modern footballer is.

Time and time again, we see someone receiving a glancing blow, similar to what you might feel if you brush against a FEATHER, who then collapses to the floor as if they have been BLUDGEONED with a lump hammer. They then roll around, seemingly at death's door, only to spring up when they see that the referee has brandished a yellow card at the perpetrator.

There is a whole lot wrong with modern football, but this shameful play-acting is one of the most serious blights on our game.

Rant over. Carry on.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Would it ruin the game by introducing a panel of 3 judges to review any major incidents post-game?

For example, a blatant diver, if found 'guilty' post-game, could face a 1 match ban.
A player who continually dives within the same season will earn a points deduction for his team.

Seems a big leap, but can't think of any other solution.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Even if I got THUMPED in the face I would be hugely embarrassed if I actually ROLLED around on the floor. I'd hold my face and probably cry like a girl......but at no point would rolling around seem the logical thing.

Can someone who has been punched tell me if that is a natural reaction?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Even if I got THUMPED in the face I would be hugely embarrassed if I actually ROLLED around on the floor. I'd hold my face and probably cry like a girl......but at no point would rolling around seem the logical thing.

Can someone who has been punched tell me if that is a natural reaction?

I've only been punched once and it went a bit like this:

Punch lands
Head goes back
Stagger backwards a step
Regain senses
Throw a return punch
Get pulled apart by respective sets of friends

Definitely no immediate need / cause to drop down and roll around

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Would it ruin the game by introducing a panel of 3 judges to review any major incidents post-game?

For example, a blatant diver, if found 'guilty' post-game, could face a 1 match ban.
A player who continually dives within the same season will earn a points deduction for his team.

I have been saying similar things for years.. I think that post match bookings/ red cards for obvious diving, feigning injury etc are the way forward... ok, it doesnt help the opposition in that game, but may make the Ronaldos of the game think twice and may lead to a reduction in the number of these incidents in the long run.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
When clouted in the head in a game of hockey I went down like a sack of sh1t and lay on the ground face down whimpering "don't touch me, I'm ok - I just need a few seconds" x repeat times 5.

I think that is a more manly response.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Coudn't agree more. I've long felt that a panel should review every incident after the game (never during), and if a player has blatantly simulated a foul, then they should get a retrospective ban.

The reason it has become so endemic in the game is because at the moment the risk/reward ratio is so heavily weighted towards the cheats. Its so rare that a player gets booked for diving, or feigning injury, that there is no real disincentive for them NOT to try it on. That's what needs to change. Once a manager starts losing his highly prized prima-donna for 2 or 3 games a few times a season due to a few pathetic swandives and face-clutches, he'll soon come down on him to cut that shit out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have been saying similar things for years.. I think that post match bookings/ red cards for obvious diving, feigning injury etc are the way forward... ok, it doesnt help the opposition in that game, but may make the Ronaldos of the game think twice and may lead to a reduction in the number of these incidents in the long run.

Yes, and it doesn't hold up the flow of the game (the perennial bleat of those who oppose the use of technology).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I would love to see the cheats shown up by repeated showings of them diving or feigning injury on the big screen while the ref reviews it. Failing that retrospective action 2 match ban for feigning injury or diving.

Plus they have to train with a rugby team for a week!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've only been punched once and it went a bit like this:

Punch lands
Head goes back
Stagger backwards a step
Regain senses
Throw a return punch
Get pulled apart by respective sets of friends

Definitely no immediate need / cause to drop down and roll around

You obviously were not punched very hard or properly. In my youth I have been felled many times with 1 punch and may I add done the same to others. I must admit never on a football pitch

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Credit where credit is due.
Vardy could have gone down in the last minute v Sunderland. He was off and running and the defender stood in his way. Instead of rolling over and claiming a red card (last defender) he climbed over him and scored.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not defending them, but i think its to get the refs attention. It seems these days if you don't go down in a heap the ref just ignores and plays on.

Better more consistent referring would help.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Should go off the pitch for the same amount of time they were 'injured'. Referee then allows them back on after that.

In reality, of course, the ref has to KNOW that a player is injured. Bearing in mind Craig Pawson's attitude to Kayal's leg injury, courtesy of Barton deliberate stamp, he would have made Kayal stay off.

I know the OP's thing was about the clearly obvious feigned injuries, but you also know full well that the refs would get it wrong. So there are drawbacks with immediate censure AND retrospective censure.

This just goes to show what a hard job is it is being... a referee.

016121F40000044D-3367348-Jimmy_Hill_the_football_pioneer_who_used_to_present_Match_of_the-a-4_14.jpg

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What gets me is complete inability of any commentator to criticise it.

Why can't they just say they are play acting/cheating/attention seeking/time wasting etc etc etc.

Instead we get pathetic justifications as how they may have been "caught" and how it "looked painful".

Sky and BT Sport are the symptom and cause of the problem. Chuck a load of money at the sport, turn the players into overpaid cheating prima donnas and then be absolutely petrified to utter a word of criticism to cheating.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Anyone who regularly watches football knows when a player is genuinely injured. They move very little or not at all. They do not clutch their face and roll around the floor like a toddler.
I'd also like to submit into evidence the ex-pro summarisers who say "there was contact they're entitled to go down" as if brushing agasint someones leg means it's ok to act as if a sniper on the roof of stadium has headshotted you.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I'd also like to submit into evidence the ex-pro summarisers who say "there was contact they're entitled to go down"

That just might be one of the things that annoys me the most from the so called pundits...surely it's just cheating to try and win a penalty.
How are they entitled? ..it's ridiculous

SAC

May 21, 2014
If referees were more consistent then I don't think there would be so much diving. You see skilful players being constantly kicked but given nothing by the ref right up until the player goes down and draws attention to the foul.

Retrospective action is a good idea but it is often very hard, even after watching 500 replays, to know 100% if a player is diving or not. That said, there is the odd occasion when it is blatantly obvious.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Even if I got THUMPED in the face I would be hugely embarrassed if I actually ROLLED around on the floor. I'd hold my face and probably cry like a girl....

Why "like a girl". My daughter plays rugby and has been kicked in the face (bringing up a splendid black eye) and has trampled on several times, with stud marks up her leg. She's never cried, rolled around on the floor or left the field, just carried on playing. That seems to be the norm among the girls she plays with, so why bring girls into it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here