Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Moving House - TV requirements

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry for another thread as there have been a few, but here goes.

Moving house and most likely going for Virgin Broadband with 2 telephone lines (I work from home so one is for business).

We've had Virgin Tivo for the sometime now and do enjoy using it, but:
Kids watch telly through Xbox using Prime and iPlayer
We have Kodi on a computer I have hooked up to the TV

That said, 50mb BB with 2 telephone lines is £25.99 for the first 12 months, add TV m+ with Tivo and it's £37.99.
(I am haggling for a better deal on those prices).

Is the alternative to a Tivo a freesat type box connected to a digital aerial? (I've been with NTL and Virgin for the past 15 years so have never needed one).

Thanks in advance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry for another thread as there have been a few, but here goes.

Moving house and most likely going for Virgin Broadband with 2 telephone lines (I work from home so one is for business).
Is money no object? Given how many people use mobiles, I'd just have the landline for business (and broadband if not using cable), and maybe sharing the landline number with parents only.

EDIT - I see you've already got a solution.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is money no object? Given how many people use mobiles, I'd just have the landline for business (and broadband if not using cable), and maybe sharing the landline number with parents only.

EDIT - I see you've already got a solution.

That's what I'm going to do. Keep the business number on the landline, then use the VoIP for the home number as you are right, thinking about it, it is probably only our parents who phone us on the landline....(with that in mind I might ditch the number altogether...)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For example, the new house has an aerial, presumably I can just get a Freeview HD box with a recorder and just use that rather than Virgin Tivo subscription.

Anyone else just use the freeview? I think I'm going to be able to cut my monthly from £60 to £20 at this rate...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is the alternative to a Tivo a freesat type box connected to a digital aerial? (I've been with NTL and Virgin for the past 15 years so have never needed one).

FreeSat box needs to connect to a satellite dish - won't work for terrestrial digital, that's called FreeView.
I've used HUMAX kit for 10 years now - never been disappointed ....

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
FreeSat box needs to connect to a satellite dish - won't work for terrestrial digital, that's called FreeView.
I've used HUMAX kit for 10 years now - never been disappointed ....

Thanks. I've worked that out as the day has progressed. I've even checked the spec. of my telly which has Freeview which I'd completely forgotten about I've had Virgin for so long. Going to ditch Virgin TV, and the extra landline and use a VoIP for the extra phone as suggested above.

Was about to sign up to a £60 per month contract, which is now down to £20! Happy days. Going to have a looked at a Humax DTR T2000 or similar I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here