Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Brazil safe?

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Last month met my son who is travelling the world in Vietnam and Japan and had a fantastic time with him. So I said I would catch up with him in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), in July. Was looking forward to it. However, after doing a small amount of research I am having second thoughts. Is Brazil safe and has anybody on here had any good or bad experiences in Rio? Thanks in advance.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Last month met my son who is travelling the world in Vietnam and Japan and had a fantastic time with him. So I said I would catch up with him in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), in July. Was looking forward to it. However, after doing a small amount of research I am having second thoughts. Is Brazil safe and has anybody on here had any good or bad experiences in Rio? Thanks in advance.

I love Rio. It's a fantastic city and lives up to all the positive Brazilian stereotypes. Stunning scenery, parties, lovely people.

There's obviously huge inequality that inevitably leads to crime but as long as you're sensible, you'll be fine.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is Brazil safe? Well it's not as safe as here. Tourists get mugged a lot in Rio, but usually because they've done something stupid and haven't followed advice on where not to go and what not to do.

Rio is an unbelievable city, and you definitely shouldn't consider not going just because it can be a bit dodgy. As long as you don't wander into areas that you shouldn't, and don't go walking around flashing smartphones and cameras you will be fine. Listen to the advice given to tourists, and try to make it look like you know where you are going when you are there and you'll be OK- the people who get mugged are usually tourists who have the 'I'm a lost tourist, please mug me' look about them.

Fantastic city, you'll have an incredible time. Get there for Carnaval and it's even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Went to Brazil many times with the RAF--- Rio a few times, great city but listen to advice where not to go,
Receife been there 5-6 times ....personally had no problems.
Salvador again been there a few times, took in a footie match and had no problems..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is Brazil safe? Well it's not as safe as here. Tourists get mugged a lot in Rio, but usually because they've done something stupid and haven't followed advice on where not to go and what not to do.

Rio is an unbelievable city, and you definitely shouldn't consider not going just because it can be a bit dodgy. As long as you don't wander into areas that you shouldn't, and don't go walking around flashing smartphones and cameras you will be fine. Listen to the advice given to tourists, and try to make it look like you know where you are going when you are there and you'll be OK- the people who get mugged are usually tourists who have the 'I'm a lost tourist, please mug me' look about them.

Fantastic city, you'll have an incredible time. Get there for Carnaval and it's even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. Keep to the areas nearer the beaches rather than further back in Rio, if you want to do any sightseeing (Corcovado and Sugar Loaf mountain are must-dos) use your hotel concierge to sort it out or a reputable tour group. Don't carry lots of cash or cards, don't wear a flash watch and generally just be aware. Been to Brazil a few times, fabulous place and lovely people, great sights, great vibe. Copacabana Beach area on a Sunday is magnificent - the road gets closed. Go for a long walk and watch some beach foot-volley. Incredible.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spot on. Keep to the areas nearer the beaches rather than further back in Rio, if you want to do any sightseeing (Corcovado and Sugar Loaf mountain are must-dos) use your hotel concierge to sort it out or a reputable tour group. Don't carry lots of cash or cards, don't wear a flash watch and generally just be aware. Been to Brazil a few times, fabulous place and lovely people, great sights, great vibe. Copacabana Beach area on a Sunday is magnificent - the road gets closed. Go for a long walk and watch some beach foot-volley. Incredible.

Echo that. When I was there (Rio) folk drove through red lights because here was a chance someone would pull a gun on you and nick the car if you did. That was 1992, mind, and I expect its a lot safer now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Echo that. When I was there (Rio) folk drove through red lights because here was a chance someone would pull a gun on you and nick the car if you did. That was 1992, mind, and I expect its a lot safer now.

Think Sao Paulo is worse to be honest. Lots of muggings in the constant traffic jams on the Marginal (M25 equivalent). Sao Paulo is a toilet of a place - avoid.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Thank you everybody for taking the time and trouble to answer. Probably will still go now, but still a little apprehensive. Thanks again.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Thank you everybody for taking the time and trouble to answer. Probably will still go now, but still a little apprehensive. Thanks again.

I'm working out in Rio - and all over Brazil - alot at the moment, and will be there for 6 months of the next year.

It's fine. Like any 'dangerous' city you need to keep your wits about you, but you shouldn't have any problems. Don't go around wearing shit loads of bling, and keep a bit of cash on you. If anyone tries to mug you just give them the cash. Try not to have anything massively valuable on you.

Most of the muggings happen by small kids with knives or groups of young men. if you see anyone like that approaching keep a wide berth. I've never actually seen this yet, although stories are common. I've spent about 5 months in total there over 6 years.

I'd rate Rio as the best city in the world. It's got so much going for it, and the people are lovely. It's stunning.

There's alot of tension in the country right now as the right wing are trying to get rid of President Dilma - unfairly. That's led to protests from both sides.

There's TONNES to see and do. I'd recommend staying in somewhere like Gavea if you are air b and b'ing it. Quieter and safer. Favella's are pretty safe now, especially places like Videgal and thats especially worth a look, as you make the climb up Dois Irmos (don't do this in flip flops, wear trainers). Don't go to any favellas on the outskirts of the city (any of the ones beginning in Complexo) they are ****ing dangerous. But you'd never get anywhere near them anyway.

If you want any tips of places to go and places to eat then give me a shout - can do you a comprehensive list.

Oh - and if you are planning on catching your flight home and there is a hint of rain, leave several hours to get to the airport. As soon as it rains, the whole city shuts down. I know someone who took 7 hours to get to the airport. Nuts.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm working out in Rio - and all over Brazil - alot at the moment, and will be there for 6 months of the next year.

It's fine. Like any 'dangerous' city you need to keep your wits about you, but you shouldn't have any problems. Don't go around wearing shit loads of bling, and keep a bit of cash on you. If anyone tries to mug you just give them the cash. Try not to have anything massively valuable on you.

Most of the muggings happen by small kids with knives or groups of young men. if you see anyone like that approaching keep a wide berth. I've never actually seen this yet, although stories are common. I've spent about 5 months in total there over 6 years.

I'd rate Rio as the best city in the world. It's got so much going for it, and the people are lovely. It's stunning.

There's alot of tension in the country right now as the right wing are trying to get rid of President Dilma - unfairly. That's led to protests from both sides.

There's TONNES to see and do. I'd recommend staying in somewhere like Gavea if you are air b and b'ing it. Quieter and safer. Favella's are pretty safe now, especially places like Videgal and thats especially worth a look, as you make the climb up Dois Irmos (don't do this in flip flops, wear trainers). Don't go to any favellas on the outskirts of the city (any of the ones beginning in Complexo) they are ****ing dangerous. But you'd never get anywhere near them anyway.

If you want any tips of places to go and places to eat then give me a shout - can do you a comprehensive list.

Oh - and if you are planning on catching your flight home and there is a hint of rain, leave several hours to get to the airport. As soon as it rains, the whole city shuts down. I know someone who took 7 hours to get to the airport. Nuts.

So not that safe then.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Certainly avoid carnival, friend of a friend seriously injured this year in a mugging. Outside carnival advice on here is excellent. You may want to consider travelling around, Santa Caterina (South) and Bahia (North) amazing places. Stay outside the main cities and you should not have any problems at all.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Brazil is a fantastic country and the people are amazingly friendly. Never had any problems in Rio which is a must see city but like any other big city there are no-go areas. Keep clear of these and you'll be fine.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Certainly avoid carnival, friend of a friend seriously injured this year in a mugging. Outside carnival advice on here is excellent. You may want to consider travelling around, Santa Caterina (South) and Bahia (North) amazing places. Stay outside the main cities and you should not have any problems at all.

Oh yes you must avoid the greatest party in the planet altogether because somebody once got mugged there. How many people get mugged at Notting Hill Carnival?

Ignore advice like this. Amazing places are often a bit edgy, it's what makes them what they are. All you have to do is listen to advice and keep your wits about you- It's Rio, it's not Baghdad!

luge

Dec 18, 2010
It's safe. Just don't go to the wrong areas. It's ****ing massive so you shouldn't have a problem with this. Advice makes it seem worse than it is, but quite frankly be applied to London.

The massive gap between rich and poor is evident for all to see, and that plays a huge part in feeling unsafe. However I was in a favella 3 weeks ago and you couldn't wish to meet more friendly people.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Brush up on your self-defence skills, particularly those concerning disarming a knife-wielder; improve your 60m sprint times to around 7 secs; and wear your flak jacket at all times. You should be fine then.

It's the other 1.5 million foreign tourists who visit Rio every year who'll be in trouble if you take the simple, obvious steps listed above, not you. I'm off to review the testicle thread now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here