Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Wilson - A Successful Bit of Business?

GenericJames

Apr 2, 2016
I'm sure I speak for every Brighton fan when I say: I was OVERJOYED when we signed James Wilson from Manchester United.

Six months or so on, would you say he was a good bit of business?

Personally, I think he has been. Four goals (at the time of writing), have all mattered. What's more, I think it's important that we remember we're not talking about an established English talent here, we're talking about a twenty year old at the start of his footballing career.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes I'd say it has. Hasn't quite lived up to the hype (mainly from plastic Man Utd fans), but hasn't been bad. Clearly hasn't been right / well in 2016 either. Has a lot more to offer. But a good signing nonetheless for me.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes he's been a useful enough squad player. Interesting, that after all the hype, he is not as good ( yet) as what we have already.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
he's been sick half the season hasnt he? i admire the determination to carry on, a lot of players would have sat it out for a couple months to recover. so i hold a little hope Man U let him come here for good and he turns out to be a cracking player.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
On balance yes a good bit of business. Shame about the illness which curtailed a promising start and a bit disappointed with some of his performances since his sporadic return.

Overall 6/10 with the bonus of not letting him go to our rivals.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Crucial goals at crucial times. Can't argue with that

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Decent enough, scored some crucial goals and a big part still to play. Good pace and can finish. A lot better than some of the other on loan forwards we've had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yes I'd say it has. Hasn't quite lived up to the hype (mainly from plastic Man Utd fans), but hasn't been bad. Clearly hasn't been right / well in 2016 either. Has a lot more to offer. But a good signing nonetheless for me.

I mentioned Wilson on loan long before we got him. I spoke to a proper Man U fan ST holder from Manchester and as i stated the fan said that Wilson is quick, knows where the goal is but a bit lightweight and one for the future.
A good assessment in my book.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good footballer, will go far but needs to be a bit stronger - quiet similar to Lingard in that respect and he's doing ok now. Makes some great off the ball runs, has good pace and can finish. Got us a few crucial goals, and suspect he'll get at least a couple more that may be critically important. Has clearly not been 100% fit for many weeks now so don't think we have seen the absolute best of him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
he's been sick half the season hasnt he? i admire the determination to carry on, a lot of players would have sat it out for a couple months to recover. so i hold a little hope Man U let him come here for good and he turns out to be a cracking player.

Think what happens to Wilson depends on who next takes over at Man Utd. If LVG does go and Mourinho takes over than expect Wilson to become available (either on another long term loan or permanently) . JM's never been one to give young talent much of a chance and will no doubt want to bring a new striker in as soon as to spearhead their attack.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It would be interesting to know if he is 100% fit now or not, or its just that his form has dropped off since his earlier illness.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's done OK, but not much more than that. Clearly there seems to be some illness issue which has hampered him, but he's been a useful acquisition.

Certainly not one that the 'we don't want any loanees ever' brigade can cite as evidence to support their case.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I mentioned Wilson on loan long before we got him. I spoke to a proper Man U fan ST holder from Manchester and as i stated the fan said that Wilson is quick, knows where the goal is but a bit lightweight and one for the future.
A good assessment in my book.

i would go along with that .....if he could could shake this bug off , (it's difficult to maintain fitness when you are continuously honking up) perhaps be rested for a game or two to charge up for the last two games in particular........his ability is obvious but his last few performances have been sub standard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he epitomizes the striker options we've had this season, which in turn explains the teams goal difference to the competition.

He's very good.
Had scored important goals (they're all important when you spend the season winning by 1)
Worked hard when available.
But at the moment is just one over par (thank you Masters)

I don't mean that as a massive criticism, one under or even level par can still win the green jacket.
One or all of them can easily make that important difference which changes everything, I just hope someone does.

That's pretty harsh on Tomer who at time this seen has been flogged like a dead horse, but even he doesn't have the goals he should.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He has gone from looking the real deal when he turned up to missing an open goal last Tuesday. We currently look thin up front with no Zamora or Baldock (When is he back?) and Wilson unable to play 90.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here