Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus next in at Forest?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Funniest thing about those odds is Pardew is still third favourite to be next England manager.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funniest thing about those odds is Pardew is still third favourite to be next England manager.
Behind Brendan Rodgers and Gary Neville.

All of a sudden Roy looks like a giant among pygmies

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Should have stayed Gus. We're thinking of smashing through our ceiling.

I know. I know. Move on.

Didn't like the guy from the moment he arrived and fell out with Nicky Forster but no denying he got us playing wonderful football with some average players, so will always wish him well.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would have thought Gus would be aiming higher than Forest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he had only recently got a job in Greece,

Athens are 2nd in the table 25 points behind the leaders, they may have reached a ceiling I guess.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
was the football wonderful under Gus. No slow and boring.

Actually it was both. A lot of revisionism has gone on around Poyet that isn't in any way factual. If you look at his whole tenure, however, we played some wonderful stuff to win League One (remember that team, Murray / Barnes / Wood up front. Barnes second top scorer with 20 goals, eight wins in March?). We tried to keep on playing it in The Championship and got found out at the back (the massively slow Painter still at LB for example) while we inexplicably switched Murray for CMS. That led to Gus tightening it up and playing tippy tappy possession football with a lone striker unsuited to the role - result, some very boring games indeed. He obviously realised that though and we got in players like Bruno, Ulloa and Vicente and, on our day were once again one of the most entertaining teams in the division. Palace 3-0, Blackpool 6-1, the Pompey game where Vicente beat them on his own, there was some wonderful football. And some turgid stuff when it went wrong.

Compare that to what came after though. Oscar was necessarily duller, trying to play tike taka with a far worse squad quality wise, yet it's to his credit he got that squad to the playoffs. Hyypia showed what happens when you take an inexperienced coach and throw him at a worsening squad. And then Hughton's first half season was as dull as anything as we scrapped to stay up, which was his only measure of success. Even this season we have been electric in some games (not just those where we've won big, think how good we were at times at home against Birmingham and MK) and dull in others - Sheffield Wednesday for example. However.....

I would have thought Gus would be aiming higher than Forest.

This in spades. It would be quite a come down and he'd fall out with the mental foreign owners in a heartbeat.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would also credit Poyet and Oscar with some of the groundwork for this season BTW. Part of our game is built on how comfortable players like Greer, Bruno, Dunk and Lua Lua are in possession. They learned that under two of the previous three managers.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I thought he had only recently got a job in Greece,

Athens are 2nd in the table 25 points behind the leaders, they may have reached a ceiling I guess.
His contract at Athens is only for this season, unless extended.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here