Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus building Hollingbury

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Driving by last night I see that the Argus building in Hollingbury has sold and many of the trees/bushes out front have now been cut down. Anyone know what is planned for the site?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I used to work there when it was KTM, very happy days.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Kearney and Trecker?

Yes mate, done my apprenticeship there ( 1978-82 ) and played for the Sunday team for 12 years.

Busy place back then what with ITT Creeds there as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes mate, done my apprenticeship there ( 1978-82 ) and played for the Sunday team for 12 years.

My Dad was maintenance electrician there. He moved from Eaton Road when CVA was taken over by K&T.

D

Deleted member 22389

My grandfather passed away now, worked there as Machinist, Turner, retired before 78 when you where there.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I don't know what's going to happen to the Argus building, but I do know that what's left of the staff will be moving to a single storey office in Manchester Street, opposite the Latest Bar.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

My wife worked there from 1978-1985 eventually in Production Control (Specials) and was then June Wickham.

Is in touch with Tony Brace on FB who was an apprentice.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I worked for the Argus in that building for a while. It once housed the newest and largest press in Europe, 450 plus staff and the main office was like an Aircraft hanger. The dramatic downsize highlights the slow, painful death of a once-great newspaper and indeed newspapers in general.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was at Gross/Chubbs.

I believe there were once 9,000 industrial jobs on Crowhurst Road. The factories had to stagger their start and finish times so that the special busses could cope. It all seems so long ago now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My old man ( RIP ) used to work there as well before going to Metal Box

My aunty worked at Metal Box in Fishersgate.

I was at Gross/Chubbs.

I believe there were once 9,000 industrial jobs on Crowhurst Road. The factories had to stagger their start and finish times so that the special busses could cope. It all seems so long ago now.

Gross Cash Registers became Cash Bases and are still going in Newhaven.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I used to work there when it was KTM, very happy days.

My Dad spent most of his working life working for KTM. I remember him driving to Littlehampton when they were there, and i think after that they had a factory in Portland Road where he worked. He was with them for about 47 years.
Hope i got that right! He died 3 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here