Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough Travel Plans / Cheapest Option

Beachcomber

Nov 22, 2010
Thinking about travel plans from Brighton for the Boro game and that if you go by train you will need to book early to bag the cheapest tickets. Train option is preferred (coach seems to be cheapest option but don't fancy 9hr trip) but looks expensive - assume all the cheap tickets that people have mentioned have already gone? Any suggestions for the cheapest option by train (split ticket / travel on Friday?)? Also thinking about an overnight stay either on the Friday and/or Saturday and if so whether it is better to stay somewhere other than Boro such as York? Any thoughts as trying to short cut the research!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I have done Boro a couple of times, once flew to Newcastle and had a weekend there, the other train and stayed in York. Both cities are around an hour away from Boro by train. Flights appear to be around the £80 return mark and you can get a very decent very cheap hotel in Newcastle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cheapest option has to be to cadge a lift from a mate who's driving up in his campervan, and not contribute to the petrol or buy him a pint either.

It'll cost you your friendship with the mate, of course, so make sure you do it to someone you don't like very much.

el punal

Try all the rail company websites separately. Some may have special offers for part of the journey, so that when you do book it may be a bit piece-meal with getting several fares in order to get from A to B. Sounds cumbersome but if you research and plan it properly you could end up quids in as opposed to getting one quote to Middlesbrough and back costing a lot more.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Hire one of these for the weekend.

new-van-048.jpg

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
I booked train tickets two weeks ago and it was significantly cheaper getting the train to York and changing than Darlington and changing. You can get a cheap day return from York to Boro for £13 and there are group save options too if travelling with more than two others.......Virgin east coastway also have a 25% group discount if travelling in groups of 3 or more.

Beachcomber

Nov 22, 2010
I booked train tickets two weeks ago and it was significantly cheaper getting the train to York and changing than Darlington and changing. You can get a cheap day return from York to Boro for £13 and there are group save options too if travelling with more than two others.......Virgin east coastway also have a 25% group discount if travelling in groups of 3 or more.

Thanks - that's really helpful. Will check out that route and also Virgin as there will be 3 or 4 of us. Cheers

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We're now travelling to Nottingham Friday evening and a quick train journey Sat a.m., me, wife & bin lids £134 return (with a Friends & Family Railcard)

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Easily your cheapest option would be to stay at home and watch it on the telly ... and sell me your ticket.
Please ......... :angel: :kiss: :cheers:

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Just booked a room in an Ibis in Rotherham for less than the price of the matchday ticket...£29....Driving up Friday and will drive home after the game...Don't even wanna think about how much the petrol will be...lol...not with a 3.5 V6 Petrol....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just booked a room in an Ibis in Rotherham for less than the price of the matchday ticket...£29....Driving up Friday and will drive home after the game...Don't even wanna think about how much the petrol will be...lol...not with a 3.5 V6 Petrol....

Not dissimilar.

Driving up early Saturday and staying at Days Inn next the M1 in Sheffield on Saturday night. Twin Room £40.

I've got a diesel - so will prob offset the higher hotel cost!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here