Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldson - pure class going to be international defender no doubt

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I cant believe how we signed Goldson for such a cheap fee, he has shown so much quality, not for just his performances which have been insane but how well and easily he has fitted into our team and i think we have looked better and better as a side since come into.
But what has impressed me most is he wasnt even making our squad to start and just took it and trained hard (i guess) and didnt complain (maybe learn from this guy Elvis) and even had to have a issue with being abused at a away game and has come out of it a stronger person and he seems very mature as a person and his performances on pitch shows this.
I think he is going to be a top top defender and if keeps going way is he will play for England no doubt about that. We got very lucky and hopefully have him for many years yet.
What you guys think ?
Had to be tough as well on a unlucky debut so didnt have easiest starts to being a Brighton player (but i bet first name on teamsheet nowadays), but seems to get better and better after every game. My player of the year if we signed at beginning of year ( a bit like Bong but younger version)
Our transfer team this year need a massive bonus at end of season, Bong, Goldson, knockhaert, Murphy, Hemed, Zamora and Kayal all been insane signings, but all others missed have been good the only dodgy one looks Elvis who seems to have wrong attitude to our club, but i like way we took chances on players like Harper and other young players in development squad.
Our side is in very good hands with these guys.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You think he'll play for England... Bold call.... Unlikely too I'm afraid.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I think your wrong he has all skills to make it, he is young he has learnt trade in lower leagues and stepped upto championship football with ease, he can pass ball, he can tackle, he can head, he is a leader. he is a confident player but not cocky. I think he has it all and i stand by this that he will be a international footballer for England.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I think he is going to be a top top defender and if keeps going way is he will play for England.
I said the exactly same thing to the bloke beside me at the Burnley game. He has been unbelievably good this season and I love his attitude.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think your wrong he has all skills to make it, he is young he has learnt trade in lower leagues and stepped upto championship football with ease, he can pass ball, he can tackle, he can head, he is a leader. he is a confident player but not cocky. I think he has it all and i stand by this that he will be a international footballer for England.

Hope you're right and don't disagree with your assessment of his attributes...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I watched him in the development squad game, at the Amex against Stoke, and thought what a very good player he appeared to be then.
Him and Tilley were the two stand out players on either side that game

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Think he could definitely make full international. Young, very composed, ball playing central defender

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's all about stepping up. Some players can and some can't - and then there's the question about how fear they can step up. Goldson has stepped up to the Championship very well. Ne2xt step - the PL: only time will tell whether he can get to that level (and ultimately to the national team).

For me, I think he can make the upgrade to the PL. After that? We'll have to wait and see.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
He's come on really impressively this season. Love the way he gets forward and gets back. So chuffed he scored the other night.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
The one main area where England are weak is in central defence. Definitely possible that Goldson could go on and get a chance, especially if we do get promoted and he continues to improve and look as assured as he currently does. Think there's slightly more chance Dunk will get an opportunity first though, purely because England have a lack of left footed centre halves to choose from.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
You think he'll play for England... Bold call.... Unlikely too I'm afraid.

10 years ago when we had Campbell, Ferdinand & Terry I'd have agreed with you. However is there any English CB's coming through who are actually any good?

The last collection of England CB's were Cahill (30 years old) Jagielka (33 years old), Smalling (26 years old) & Stones (21 years old.). So realistically Cahill and Jagielka will be on there last legs or won't be there at all for the next EURO's. Stones is the English David Luiz - he can't actually defend so there's a chance he'll be converted in to a holding midfielder in the future which leaves Smalling as potentially the only one who'll still be there in 4 years time. The U-21 collection isn't much more impressive. Jack Stephens, who's 22 years old and played one game above L1 level and who is currently on loan at Coventry. There's also Kortney Hause who's injury prone and was part of a hardly spellbounding Wolves defence. There's a lot of players who can play CB if required like Calum Chambers, Tyler Blackett & Nathaniel Chalobah. There isn't a heap of natural Center Backs who can actually defend properly coming through.

I'd say there is a realistic chance of England having Chris Smalling, Joe Gomez, John Stones & Connor Goldson as a set of CB's in 5/6 years time if he continues to develop in the way he has so far this season.

Count Otto Black

Jul 22, 2015
10 years ago when we had Campbell, Ferdinand & Terry I'd have agreed with you. However is there any English CB's coming through who are actually any good?

The last collection of England CB's were Cahill (30 years old) Jagielka (33 years old), Smalling (26 years old) & Stones (21 years old.). So realistically Cahill and Jagielka will be on there last legs or won't be there at all for the next EURO's. Stones is the English David Luiz - he can't actually defend so there's a chance he'll be converted in to a holding midfielder in the future which leaves Smalling as potentially the only one who'll still be there in 4 years time. The U-21 collection isn't much more impressive. Jack Stephens, who's 22 years old and played one game above L1 level and who is currently on loan at Coventry. There's also Kortney Hause who's injury prone and was part of a hardly spellbounding Wolves defence. There's a lot of players who can play CB if required like Calum Chambers, Tyler Blackett & Nathaniel Chalobah. There isn't a heap of natural Center Backs who can actually defend properly coming through.

I'd say there is a realistic chance of England having Chris Smalling, Joe Gomez, John Stones & Connor Goldson as a set of CB's in 5/6 years time if he continues to develop in the way he has so far this season.

phil jones too

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here