Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Undeserved Reputations

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Every Christmas and Easter, my wife has a habit of buying the grandchildren Thorntons chocolate eggs or whatever as a 'treat' ... and we pay exorbitant charges for the privilege.
If you were to offer me Cadburys instead of Thorntons I would snatch your hand off 100 times out of 100.
Thorntons chocolate is turd.

How on earth did they get a reputation for being something special?

I'll give you another one ........ Marks and Spencer Food.
Why does it have a reputation for being 'better quality'?
My wife buys milk from anywhere and everywhere, but without fail the Milk that always goes off the quickest is the stuff we buy from Marks.

Anybody think of any other reputations that are totally false? ... (e.g. Joey Barton is an intelligent misunderstood good guy underneath his public face ...)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was in the papers a couple of weeks ago that Thorntons Chocolates and Easter Eggs in particular where made by a company who also make the same for Aldi to the same recipe. The difference being Thorntons were £15 and Aldis were £3. We went to Crawley on Easter Saturday and the queue for Thorntons in the centre was out of the door, Madness.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Not a corporation but my friend bought me a brighton rubber duck like ten years ago and I put it in my car. Everyone assumed I loved rubber ducks and I now own over 100.. I don't like them...

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Virgin Trains. Undeserved reputation in that everyone slags them off when they're (in my experience) the best train company in Europe by miles. As long as you book in advance you can get a first class ticket for cheap. I've never paid more than £49 each way from Brighton to Manchester (and as little as £22 each way Brighton-Birmingham) and that includes free alcohol (the only train company that does free booze in the UK), free food, hot drinks, WiFi, newspapers, plus use of lounges with free tea, coffee, juice and WiFi at Euston/Piccadilly/etc. A first Southern ticket to Victoria (pre-10am travel) would likely cost over £30, so Virgin are charging about a tenner for the London-Manchester bit with all the free stuff! I simply don't get why everyone thinks Virgin are shit...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Many moons ago when I was a mere boy with no career direction, beer and filly direction yes, but not career, I used to work at Van Hynegans (sp) in Angmering, where they grew and boxed peppers and cress, but not in the same containers you understand. They were all exactly the same fayre, however they were labelled for the then big four of Tesco, Sainsbury, Gateway (I think, could have been Safeway) and M&S. The M&S cress was some 20% more expensive than the rest. Go figure.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
That Beckham was any good as a footballer beyond 'average'. The circus around him took over.

Gold plated, oxygen free, diamond tipped power surge protected leads. All a load of nutz, a normal lead from a decent wholesale electrical supplier will do the job.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It was in the papers a couple of weeks ago that Thorntons Chocolates and Easter Eggs in particular where made by a company who also make the same for Aldi to the same recipe. The difference being Thorntons were £15 and Aldis were £3. We went to Crawley on Easter Saturday and the queue for Thorntons in the centre was out of the door, Madness.

My Thornton's egg was £5 in Morrisons.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Virgin Trains. Undeserved reputation in that everyone slags them off when they're (in my experience) the best train company in Europe by miles. As long as you book in advance you can get a first class ticket for cheap. I've never paid more than £49 each way from Brighton to Manchester (and as little as £22 each way Brighton-Birmingham) and that includes free alcohol (the only train company that does free booze in the UK), free food, hot drinks, WiFi, newspapers, plus use of lounges with free tea, coffee, juice and WiFi at Euston/Piccadilly/etc. A first Southern ticket to Victoria (pre-10am travel) would likely cost over £30, so Virgin are charging about a tenner for the London-Manchester bit with all the free stuff! I simply don't get why everyone thinks Virgin are shit...

Im with you. Got a ticket Watford to Birmingham for £7.50.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was in the papers a couple of weeks ago that Thorntons Chocolates and Easter Eggs in particular where made by a company who also make the same for Aldi to the same recipe.

though they may well be made in the same factory, they will be different recipes and ingredients, but this applies to pretty much most foodstuffs. what Thorntons, and other more expensive chocolates are good for are the small chocolates, the truffles and soft centres. generic chocolate eggs and bars not so much, and many may prefer a nice galaxy or dairy milk bar instead. Aldi chocolate is poor, seems like brown, sweet fat to me. best eggs i had this year were Sainsbury's taste the difference dark chocolate truffles, blinding little taste bombs.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Agree re: the previous MS food comment. I find their sandwiches poor

I also have never found John Lewis particularly amazing

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Every Christmas and Easter, my wife has a habit of buying the grandchildren Thorntons chocolate eggs or whatever as a 'treat' ... and we pay exorbitant charges for the privilege.
If you were to offer me Cadburys instead of Thorntons I would snatch your hand off 100 times out of 100.
Thorntons chocolate is turd.

How on earth did they get a reputation for being something special?

I'll give you another one ........ Marks and Spencer Food.
Why does it have a reputation for being 'better quality'?
My wife buys milk from anywhere and everywhere, but without fail the Milk that always goes off the quickest is the stuff we buy from Marks.

Anybody think of any other reputations that are totally false? ... (e.g. Joey Barton is an intelligent misunderstood good guy underneath his public face ...)

It probably goes off the quickest because it is not full of preservatives that other supermarkets put in it. If you bought a pint of milk straight from the farm it would go off in a couple of days.

I do most of my food shopping at M&S and it is my opinion that it is far better than the cheaper supermarkets.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here