Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To my eternal shame

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I used to go to Selhurst park to watch football. Yes, that ground!

Before I get dismissed as a heretic let me explain.

I am going back to 1970 and I have two older brothers, one who is a Leeds fan and the other Spurs, I was a bit of a closet Liverpool fan too. They used to take their little brother to Selhurst Park to see the big boys play and to get autographs of some of the stars of the day - when players happily signed autographs on the way back to the team coach!

I remember seeing the original fat boy slim Tommy Lawrence playing in goal for Liverpool and seeing Crazy Horse and Roger Hunt score against the Palace.

I must reiterate I wasn't ever supporting Palace, just going to their ground to see some stars of the day!

Can I ever be forgiven for this lapse of judgement, to be fair, I was only 10 and star struck...

Anybody else have a secret shame....?

el punal

I used to go to Selhurst park to watch football. Yes, that ground!

Before I get dismissed as a heretic let me explain.

I am going back to 1970 and I have two older brothers, one who is a Leeds fan and the other Spurs, I was a bit of a closet Liverpool fan too. They used to take their little brother to Selhurst Park to see the big boys play and to get autographs of some of the stars of the day - when players happily signed autographs on the way back to the team coach!

I remember seeing the original fat boy slim Tommy Lawrence playing in goal for Liverpool and seeing Crazy Horse and Roger Hunt score against the Palace.

I must reiterate I wasn't ever supporting Palace, just going to their ground to see some stars of the day!

Can I ever be forgiven for this lapse of judgement, to be fair, I was only 10 and star struck...

Anybody else have a secret shame....?

As a punishment for your heinous crime you must return to Selhurst Park, you must go into the HOME dressing room, you must have an enormous dump on the floor, and you must leave without telling anyone of your act of contrition.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
May 1983 i was taken to see Pompey beat Walsall 1 0 to get promoted to Division 2 in front of 36000 .At the time i would get taken to Aldershot a couple of times a season . My next game was opening day of the season Aldershot 1 Hereford 4 and i was hooked. I still shudder at the thought that i almost took a dark path.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So you're a closet Liverpool fan who used to watch games at Palace.

Why do you support Brighton?

I was only 10 and swayed by the bright lights of London, well it seemed like London to me at the time. I was just a football fan who wanted to see the "stars" of the day.

I should add a year later, when considered old enough to travel on the train with my mates I started going to Albion fixtures at home...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So you're a closet Liverpool fan who used to watch games at Palace.

Why do you support Brighton?

There was a fella in the North Stand on Saturday, kitted out with Albion shirt and scarf, he raised his arm to twirl his merchandise only to reveal what appeared to be a Liverpool tattoo on his upper arm :eek:

#tattoofixers

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
NSC will be the judge of that now you have put it out there

Indeed, can't personally relate to it, even one season in 80 years of watching football would be inexcusable in my book, but I'm rabidly intolerant of glory hunting and age is no excuse for it, and I say that as one of only a few at my Sussex primary school whose blood was only ever going to run blue and white.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
when my oldest was 8-11 (now 30) we used to watch the crazy gang at selhurst --we were closet wombles and I must say a lot of Brighton used to attend wearing Brighton colours,scarves,badges . got to see Cantona several times , beckham 55 yarder and micheal owen debut probably the most memorable, dons were 2-0 up -Liverpool were awarded a penalty and during the melee a small youngster was subbed on the pitch -the scouse went nuts -like they'd won the league (they knew his record from youth to first team was prolific to say the least ).
he was holding the ball looked at the ref and nodded to him as he put the ball on the spot and stepped back just 3 paces -I remember thinking Christ hes confident low and hard into the bottom corner--no hesitation .
also took my lad to see john Aldridge(tranmere at fratton park in the away end .
First Brighton game Peter ward debut and last at Birmingham Tuesday night , was also at Newcastle (that game we went up) 8hours in a Hillman Avenger the a23 was single lane and you drove through London -no m25 yet !
my only regret/downside was Kevin Keegan resigned before I got to see his toon army on the road and gut laughs was Vinny jones sticking his middle finger up at 10,000 spurs fans as they sang vinny jones what a wanker what a wanker !

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was born and grew up in Croydon but managed to keep well away from Palace thanks to my Grandparents who lived a five minute walk from The Goldstone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here