Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police and Crime Commissioner Election 2016

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Anyone know anything about this at all? The polling cards landed on my doormat today and I'd forgotten all about it.

I consider myself very politically informed and opinionated but couldn't tell you a thing about this! I know the incumbent is a Tory named Katy Bourne (only because I remember her being elected and I vaguely recall having some support on here), but couldn't tell you anything she has done or whether she is running again. Even google is struggling to give me any info, less than a month till polling day!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
She is running again.

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
"Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC) Katy Bourne has confirmed that funding for Community Safety Partnerships (CSPs) across Sussex will be protected for the fourth year running. CSPs bring together a range of organisations including community safety officers, local councillors, Sussex Police, Fire and Rescue, and members of the Police and Crime Panel.

A combined total of over £505,000 has been committed by Mrs Bourne for work which reflects the priorities of her Police and Crime Plan, with £86,000 specifically earmarked for work focussing on victims’ services and over £100,000 for drug intervention programmes."

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
"Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC) Katy Bourne has confirmed that funding for Community Safety Partnerships (CSPs) across Sussex will be protected for the fourth year running. CSPs bring together a range of organisations including community safety officers, local councillors, Sussex Police, Fire and Rescue, and members of the Police and Crime Panel.

A combined total of over £505,000 has been committed by Mrs Bourne for work which reflects the priorities of her Police and Crime Plan, with £86,000 specifically earmarked for work focussing on victims’ services and over £100,000 for drug intervention programmes."

Like most people, that means absolutely nothing to me. It'd be nice to hear some criticisms/debate involving other candidates.

Perhaps the Argus might take it up as some sort of, what's it called...local journalism.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The Government have indicated that they want PCCs to take responsibility for the Fire and Rescue Services (i.e.: PCFRC ?). The attitude of the Candidates towards this other vital emergency service also needs to be considered.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The Government have indicated that they want PCCs to take responsibility for the Fire and Rescue Services (i.e.: PCFRC ?). The attitude of the Candidates towards this other vital emergency service also needs to be considered.

Agreed. But how? There is virtually no publicity of who they even are, let alone their attitudes and policies!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
To my shame I have to admit to only being vaguely aware of these jobs. I too have a poll card for my local area and thought I'd better find out what their job is first. Wiki says:

"The core functions of police and crime commissioners are to secure the maintenance of an efficient and effective police force within their area, and to hold the Chief constable to account for the delivery of the police and crime plan.[SUP][7][/SUP] Police and crime commissioners are charged with holding the police fund (from which all policing of the area is financed) and raising the local policing precept from council tax.[SUP][8][/SUP] Police and crime commissioners are also responsible for the appointment, suspension and dismissal of the Chief Constable.[SUP][9]"

Call me stupid (no, seriously, do), but couldn't this job be done by the Home Secretary/Home Office as appropriate? I assume The PCCs exist in the name of localisation, but if the core purpose is to "...hold the Chief Constable to account...", what level of localisation is there really? The laws are constant across England and Wales so localisation does what, exactly?

I must be missing something obvious. What is it please?

[/SUP]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here