Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

79 All Over Again?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, having got my Boro tickets yesterday, looking forward to a lengthy trip back up to the North East for what could be a 'must win' game to secure promotion. Sounds familiar!

el punal

So, having got my Boro tickets yesterday, looking forward to a lengthy trip back up to the North East for what could be a 'must win' game to secure promotion. Sounds familiar!

As long as it's not 78 all over again. When we did everything right only to be cheated out of promotion by Saints and Spurs conjuring an amazing 0-0 draw in the final game of the season. I'm still spitting blood over that one. :rant:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As long as it's not 78 all over again. When we did everything right only to be cheated out of promotion by Saints and Spurs conjuring an amazing 0-0 draw in the final game of the season. I'm still spitting blood over that one. :rant:

Yes, all rather predictable wasn't it?
I remember it well.Still, it gave us a fantastic season 78/79.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

I didn't get to the game, but was listening to it in Reigate and getting very faint reception on my music centre.
Did enjoy some fizz that evening though.
What a very long time ago.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Thankfully it is us playing Middlesbrough.

Imagine if it was Middlesbrough v Burnley on the last day.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I didn't get to the game, but was listening to it in Reigate and getting very faint reception on my music centre.
Did enjoy some fizz that evening though.
What a very long time ago.

I was in the Qaisumah desert, in Saudi following game via telex :)
called up BBC radio Sussex or whatever it was called then, and they kept me up to date via telex

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Yep, our result that day stopped a team from the North East going up in our place (Sunderland) - history, in a way could repeat itself!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Lets hope the game is all over at half time again and we can spend the second half relaxed and celebrating

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I think I'm right in saying, if it had been 3 points for a win in 78/79, we would have gone up as Champions.

The League Table would have looked like this:

ALBION P42 W23 D10 L9 F72 A39 Pts 79
Sunderland P42 W22 D11 L9 F70 A44 Pts 77
Stoke P42 W20 D16 L 6 F58 A31 Pts 76
----------------------------------------------------------
Palace P42 W19 D19 L4 F51 A24 Pts 76

Palace would have missed out on goals scored

Ah well.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Except on that glorious occasion we were given 10000 tickets... not the paltry 2k we have this time.

A superb day it was indeed... let's hope it's all decided before then... dont want to have to go there and win.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think I'm right in saying, if it had been 3 points for a win in 78/79, we would have gone up as Champions.

The League Table would have looked like this:

ALBION P42 W23 D10 L9 F72 A39 Pts 79
Sunderland P42 W22 D11 L9 F70 A44 Pts 77
Stoke P42 W20 D16 L 6 F58 A31 Pts 76
----------------------------------------------------------
Palace P42 W19 D19 L4 F51 A24 Pts 76

Palace would have missed out on goals scored

Ah well.

I remember working this out a while ago. Rather glad someone has posted it. There would probably be a number of interesting differences in the leagues throughout the years.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
And that victory at Newcastle came three days after a triumphant Margaret Thatcher quoted St Francis of Assisi on the steps of 10 Downing Street…

Those were interesting times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here