Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
calderwood-l229-3045867_478x359.jpg

Colin Calderwood
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
14:10 6th April 2016
by James Hilsum
The post-match reaction after Albion's crucial win on Tuesday.
The deliveries were good and it’s constant work from the boys on set-plays that has taken time to reap its rewards. "
Colin Calderwood
COLIN CALDERWOOD was delighted to see Albion score two goals from set-pieces in the 2-1 win over Birmingham City last night.
Connor Goldson and Lewis Dunk found the net with a header each from two superb Jiri Skalak centres and Albion’s assistant boss praised the quality shown in both goals.
He said, “There was a terrific delivery on both from Jiri and that’s something we’ve seen from open play time and time again and in training. He’s been important to us and we’ve been able to freshen people up in the wide areas.
“The deliveries were good and it’s constant work from the boys on set-plays that has taken time to reap its rewards.
“We hoped it would happen earlier in the season, but we’re getting them now and you can see the importance of corners, to us, for and against.
“Every team in the league has a real weakness or danger from there. It’s a scenario where no-one likes to concede goals, but unfortunately with some of that quality, you have to accept one or two things.”
Calderwood looked ahead to the remaining six games of the season and is confident that Albion can challenge for automatic promotion right until the last game.
“We’ve looked back through the history books at runs, but undoubtedly there’s a number of points we’ve got to get to and that will include trying to win next Monday.
“We go into the last six games after having a good return from our recent matches. If we keep doing that and get what we set ourselves, we won’t be too far away.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK*

GARY ROWETT admitted that Birmingham’s chances of making the top six look unlikely after their defeat to Brighton last night.

The Blues are 11 points adrift of sixth-placed Derby County with a game in hand and Rowett has been left disappointed with his side’s dip in form.
He said, “I think I’d look a little bit stupid if I sat here and said I think we can still get in the play-offs.
“I know mathematically it’s not impossible, but I think you’d have to say that 11 points, it probably is.
“It’s just started to edge away from us. We’ve worked incredibly hard and we’re really pleased to be in this position, but just when you need that little bit of extra quality and spark, we just seemed to have fallen a bit flat.
“That’s disappointing because I’ve said to the players in there that I still believe on our day we can match any of the best teams.
“Our issue is probably just that consistency of doing it week in and week out.”
The Blues boss was left frustrated that his side conceded two goals from two similar balls from Jiri Skalak and felt there was little to choose between the sides.
“I thought we were pretty good in the first half. We worked really hard and got into some good positions again, just a bit of quality (lacking) at the end of it.
“We got the goal and a little bit of fortune with it, but certainly some good reactions and anticipation from Kyle (Lafferty), who I thought looked really bright.
“And we had another really good chance with Jon (Toral) to hit the target to maybe make it 2-0.
“The most disappointing bit from me, first-half in particular, is that I don’t think Brighton have really cut us open in general play, but set-pieces have been our undoing, just like on Saturday in the 94th minute."
[h=3]ALBION V FULHAM
[/h] FRIDAY 15TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V QPR
[/h] TUESDAY 19TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V DERBY COUNTY
[/h] MONDAY 2ND MAY, KICK-OFF 2.30PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here