Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Imagine the scene.
Last day of the season and the table is:
Boro 92
BHA 90
Burnley 87 (with a better GD than BHA)

In that scenario, Boro are up already but a win or draw sees them champions. A BHA win sees us up as champions, a draw we're up 2nd.
If BHA lose & Burnley win, Burnley go up and we are in the playoffs.

So, would you be happy for us & Boro to play out a rather limp draw, effectively letting them be champions in return for us going up too, or should we play the game as if our lives depend on it, death or glory ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm torn.

Yes of course I would, anything to guarantee promotion

No of course I wouldn't because that would make us as bad as Southampton and Spurs when they did it to us

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
As much as I'm feeling a pantomime hatred towards Burnley thanks to their recent exploits at the Amex let's not forget their refusal to take the foot off the pedal despite having already secured promotion helped us get into the play-offs two seasons ago. We owe it to them to match that level of professionalism. I'm sure the safe option may be playing on the players' minds but Hughton is a man of integrity and I don't think he'd let them get away with a casual knockabout in the centre circle.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Imagine the scene.
Last day of the season and the table is:
Boro 92
BHA 90
Burnley 87 (with a better GD than BHA)

In that scenario, Boro are up already but a win or draw sees them champions. A BHA win sees us up as champions, a draw we're up 2nd.
If BHA lose & Burnley win, Burnley go up and we are in the playoffs.

So, would you be happy for us & Boro to play out a rather limp draw, effectively letting them be champions in return for us going up too, or should we play the game as if our lives depend on it, death or glory ?

If Boro were already up then there is no way they would play out a draw.

The best scenario would be them already up as champions. There energy levels against a team fighting every inch would be found wanting. Possibly.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Our current players and staff have far too much team spirit and class to slob about for 90 mins for a tactical draw in that scenario.
unlike the charlatans at Spurs and Soton.

Hughton will tell the players to go out on to the pitch and make sure Boro wish they had never been born.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Our current players and staff have far too much team spirit and class to slob about for 90 mins for a tactical draw in that scenario.
unlike the charlatans at Spurs and Soton.

Hughton will tell the players to go out on to the pitch and make sure Boro wish they had never been born.

Agree, Hughton would remind them of the result at The Amex and tell the players we owe them one...

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Make a secret deal with boro to play out a draw and both go up. Then accidentally forget about the deal three minutes into injury time and take the glory.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think both teams would go for the win but if still level with 10 minutes to go there may be a we'll settle for what we've got from both sides.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Would be much better if both teams were definately top 2, and were just playing for the title.

In the scenario mentioned, I'd be at Charlton cheering them on v Burnley.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The best situation is if Boro are already Champions and have been out on their jollies and not up to a competitive game, as I think any team playing less than 100% we will beat.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope, it's cheating however you dress it up.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Its like that daft game show (that I saw once and can't remember the name of) where the final two have to decide whether they will share the prize or go for it alone. If they both share they get the share, but if they both say they are going to share and one of them is telling a porky then the one that says share gets nothing....... if you see what I mean!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Agree with Boro to play out a 0-0 draw.

Then in the last minute sneak the win!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think that is a very dangerous scenario to play out. Obviously (well I'm assuming anyway), the clubs wouldn't get together and arrange this, so you'd be relying on the players on the pitch getting the vibe from Boro that they would be happy to run the clock down to a draw. If you misread the signs and they pile on late pressure and score, we'd be buggered!

Personally, best scenario for me:

Win v Derby in front of the home fans to secure a top 2 place, along with Boro.

Then v Boro - what a party! Ok, still the title to decide, but i'd bite your hand off to finish 2nd - and watch the play offs from my sofa all nice and content!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here