Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maximum away allocation in Premier League is 3,000

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Have seen a lot of posters criticising as 'small' the allocation of 3,000-ish away tickets that Charlton have given you.

Whilst I appreciate you could take far more, a couple of quick points:

1. Bournemouth on the last day of last season is the ONLY time an away team has ever been given more than the Jimmy Seed Stand for a league game. They were given an extra 1,400 in the West Upper. I know of no other occasion (since the 1992 Valley return) in either the PL, Championship or League One that Charlton has EVER given an away team more than what you've been allocated.

2. There were loads of factors involved in giving Bournemouth the extra, including the game being (expected to be and was) a dead rubber with Bournemouth already promoted and Charlton mid-table, Bournemouth paying compensation to moved STs, the Met Police agreeing to it, some informal agreements for next season (first option on Kermorgant if loaned out) and more. Rather than setting a precedent, it was very much a one-off.

3. I'm sure that Charlton would give you more tickets if they could (and Albion suitably greased their palms), BUT there's no way the Met Police would allow it as; (a) the game isn't a last day of the season dead rubber - we may well already be down by then, but your fate will still be up in the air, (b) ongoing protests means the Met have enough to deal with from home fans without extra away presence, and (c) if we gave you extra then Burnley (whose fans have something of a reputation re policing) who we face on the final day will kick up wanting the same. I think the Met wouldn't allow you extra for even just one of these reasons, let alone all three.

The main point I wanted to make though was just to check that those complaining about how small the 3,000 allocation is (and yes, I know it's galling when there are 12k empty seats at the Valley) realise that 3,000 is the maximum away allocation for EVERY stadium under Premier League rules. The number of tickets you've been given for the Valley is the same maximum you'll get for every game if you're promoted - even the Olympic Stadium is only giving away fans 2,700 apparently. In summary: Be warned, there's going to be a TICKETS BINFEST every fortnight if you go up!

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
If every home seat was sold then fair enough but when there's going to be loads of unoccupied seats in the home end, people on here are questioning why our allocation can't be increased.

In the PL, most grounds will be at capacity with home support so it's understandable why they wouldn't give more to away fans

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If every home seat was sold then fair enough but when there's going to be loads of unoccupied seats in the home end, people on here are questioning why our allocation can't be increased.

In the PL, most grounds will be at capacity with home support so it's understandable why they wouldn't give more to away fans
I think the OP has explained pretty coherently why the allocation can't be increased. However, with 12k empty seats, presumably it will be POTG for home fans, so maybe just turn up without shouting about your allegiance and get in. It's what I've always done when watching the Albion away - I avoid the home end, for obvious reasons, and sit somewhere along the side of the pitch rather than behind the goal: better view too.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I could swear he just answered that, and very eloquently.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Well put and explained. Just expect a lot of people to sneak in the ground if it is POTG.
Can Charlton set this as an all ticket game and if so, would many home fans bother to buy tickets in advance (genuine question)?
Further, if POTG, can the Met dictate who is permitted into the ground in, say, the east or west stands presuming these are not the home or away ends?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
At risk of repeating myself, unless Charlton change their position, you won't be able to simply turn up and pay to get in the home sections. You won't even be able to buy a ticket for the home sections beforehand unless you're a member there - Red Cards, I think they call their cards. They're clearly aware of the likelihood of Brighton going into the home sections for this game so have made it an all-ticket, members-only affair.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
At risk of repeating myself, unless Charlton change their position, you won't be able to simply turn up and pay to get in the home sections. You won't even be able to buy a ticket for the home sections beforehand unless you're a member there - Red Cards, I think they call their cards. They're clearly aware of the likelihood of Brighton going into the home sections for this game so have made it an all-ticket, members-only affair.

You can roll up to the ticket office allegedly before the day and get a ticket as far as I'm aware - but I guess
they don't anticipate people making journeys form Btn.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Their website says:

Season ticket holders, Valley Gold members and existing Red Card holders are eligible to purcahse (sic) tickets for the game and seats can be bought by visiting the Valley’s ticket office in person or by calling 03330 14 44 44.

So it'll take a change in policy to get in.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Charlton Athletic Red Card membership is FREE.

I have no idea whether you can ring up the ticket office one day and become a Red Card member. Then a few days later ring up to buy your ticket. It doesn't specifically say you need a purchase history on your Red Card membership to purchase tickets.

£21 for a ticket in Block H in the West Stand right next to the away stand. Got to be worth a try for those without tickets?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/tickets/Red-card.aspx

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The home end WAS on general sale but is now back to restricted. I expect it has to be (police orders?) where the away end is sold out.

Certainly the Charlton website says there will be no more online sales and that anyone who buys in person or on the phone has to be a ST holder or Red Card member.

I'm neither of these things at present (no ST and returned my Red Card and got taken off their database - along with hundreds of others - a few months ago in protest at the owners) so can't help anyone out myself. Sorry.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I called a few days ago and was refused tickets based on not being an existing member. I have a London address. Luckily for me I have now got tickets in the Albion end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here