Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton in denial?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Does anyone have the stats as to how many goals we have conceded as the result of a corner, as it appears to be a lot.

I have probably lost count of the number of times this season that I have watched Bruno having a wrestling match with someone at a corner - as this appears to be our only way of defending them, which I think some astute managers have sussed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Burnley player Jones corners were superb, every damn one of them. Caused maximum chaos in our defence.

Their delivery from set plays was spot on all day. It's almost like the work at it a lot.

Sorry, trite comment but that's Dyche's game plan in a nutshell. Stick 8 or 9 behind the ball and lump it for Grey to chase. Not much chance of clear cut goal chances from that against the better teams (who they mostly haven't beaten) but plenty of chances of getting a deflection for a throw or corner or a tangle for a free kick (especially when you spend all game intimidating the ref).

It's completely one dimensional and if they stick with it when / if they go up they'll come back down faster than you can say "Derby County's record low points count". But if that's all you've got you need to be good at it, and they are.

Still, for goal one Ward was sitting on Bruno and for goal 2 Goldson was taken out and it should have been a free kick our way. I doubt Pawson fancied chalking off another goal though.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm pretty sure that Burnley were first to the ball for every corner they had (and therefore looked like scoring every time to me too)

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I counted 7 times that they won the header from their corners during the game on Saturday. I was surprised that they did not score more then two goals.

I think Goldson & Dunk are doing fantastically well, but would GG provide us with a better organised defence, especially from set pieces?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We are vulnerable to those teams with a great delivery as all teams in this division are. Jones and Taylor both produced great deliveries all match. Burnley were helped by having 4 players on the pitch at the end who were superior to all our players in the air. Same as when Boro were down. There delivery was spot on and we were punished. Most disappointing thing about the Keane goal was we didn't compete with him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I fear he might be, I expected Burnley to score from every corner and set piece :shrug:

I'll wait for Chaileyjem to prove me wrong with the facts but I think we concede way too many goals from set pieces.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...em_defending_set_pieces__insists_Albion_boss/

In fairness, when you concede one goal in six games it is quite harsh to talk about weaknesses. Having said that, we're not the biggest team and, if we are weak defensively at anything, it is probably that.

To be fair, Burnley are one of the biggest teams in the league and also the most effective, hence they're top. They are a very good team and score a lot from set pieces. Dyche's comments show that he is lacks class (as all his comments did on Saturday and the game up there). So glad we have Hughton instead.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I seem to recall that Dyche mentioned we had conceded 26% of our goals from corners,

You are going to concede goals one way or another, and this will be used by the opposition, but the main thing is to concede less than who you are playing.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
We are shockingly bad at defending from set pieces especially corners, awful ! A new defensive coach or two is needed i fancy

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are vulnerable to those teams with a great delivery as all teams in this division are. Jones and Taylor both produced great deliveries all match. Burnley were helped by having 4 players on the pitch at the end who were superior to all our players in the air. Same as when Boro were down. There delivery was spot on and we were punished. Most disappointing thing about the Keane goal was we didn't compete with him.

We didn't compete with Keane because he'd pushed Goldson.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Dyche is right and it's 26% that'll be 9.62 goals from the 37 conceded.

It seems odd to base a strategy on that return, unless of course you're just using it as justification for piss poor tactics.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most of our fans have been saying how poor we are at defending set pieces for ages which is probably down to what I have said in the past that Dunk is good at winning headers when coming from their keeper etc or attacking a corner at the other end but does not attack the ball from crosses well enough when defending.. This is rather surprising because Calderwood was a central defender so used to dealing with crosses. We also do not seem to be awake to the 2nd ball when defending crosses.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I counted 7 times that they won the header from their corners during the game on Saturday. I was surprised that they did not score more then two goals.

I think Goldson & Dunk are doing fantastically well, but would GG provide us with a better organised defence, especially from set pieces?

For set pieces, yes, for the other 85% of the game we would be a worse team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here