"Barton to face no retrospective action"

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
From local Burnley reporter...

[tweet]716989379307302912[/tweet]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How did they deal with it by taking no action either for or against it. Obviously they thought it didnt warrant sny action which is the whole point of the FA possibly taking action.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
How did they deal with it by taking no action either for or against it. Obviously they thought it didnt warrant sny action which is the whole point of the FA possibly taking action.

For FA to take action the officials must admit that they did not see what happened, if they saw it and did not seem any action to be taken that is the end of it

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

It means it was in the match report that they saw the incidents and didn't think they were worthy of cards, therefore no retrospective action can be taken. If the ref had put in the report that he'd not seen the incidents properly/not mentioned them at all then they could be reviewed. We may not agree with the ref but those are the rules. I am guessing the limit on characters on twitter means he can't explain it in that depth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It means it was in the match report that they saw the incidents and didn't think they were worthy of cards, therefore no retrospective action can be taken. If the ref had put in the report that he'd not seen the incidents properly/not mentioned them at all then they could be reviewed. We may not agree with the ref but those are the rules. I am guessing the limit on characters on twitter means he can't explain it in that depth.

If any council member from a county fa saw it on tv he could still report it and they would act on it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Much as I loathe Barton the letter of the law protects him for all the reasons stated above. Hopefully retrospective action is taken against Pawson - like sending him back to referee the Stafforshire Sunday Under 12s League (fifth division) which is about his level. Not only for the numerous times he should have booked or sent off Barton but for missing their clear goal, getting the Dunk free kick that led to the equalizer wrong (Dunk got the ball). missing the foul they committed in scoring that goal, not booking Kayal for his tackle on Barton, booking Stockdale for breathing and the perplexing foul he gave after Knockaert's amazing piece on control in front of the WSU.

Barton will always be a thug but at least he was doing what Dyche told him. That was a refereeing display dripping with the highest levels of incompetence.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It happened right under the referee's nose so the officials saw it alright. They just didn't have the bottle to deal with Barton who was taking the piss, challenging them, whinging to them and generally dominating them totally all game.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
From memory, the elbow was on the blind side of the ref, so I could understand if he didn't see it - though that doesn't make the linesman (who wasn't on the blind side) blind too.

Fact is - Barton received treatment for an elbow he never got. Therefore, how could the referee have seen it and dealt with it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If they see it and didn't act, I think the officials can expect a very poor rating from the assessor.

I think it's one of those incidents that if you've never played, you could think it was accidental (such as Naylor etc. saying stuff like 'he was looking at the ball'). Anyone who has played the game will know Barton knew what he was doing because in that moment you sort of instinctively know where the person is and where you're foot is going down. Barton knew what he was doing, but also knew how to make it look accidental.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I think it's one of those incidents that if you've never played, you could think it was accidental (such as Naylor etc. saying stuff like 'he was looking at the ball'). Anyone who has played the game will know Barton knew what he was doing because in that moment you sort of instinctively know where the person is and where you're foot is going down. Barton knew what he was doing, but also knew how to make it look accidental.

Sorry, but is there ANYONE who thinks that Barton was successful in making it look accidental?

As has been said many times, if it was accidental, his reaction (petulant, pathetic and deliberate) was that of a person who has major problems coming to terms with so badly losing in a one-on-one competitive situation, irrespective of his later low rent (non-) justifications later.

If his legs were 6" long, I could understand him not being able to get himself over Kayal. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, but is there ANYONE who thinks that Barton was successful in making it look accidental?

As has been said many times, if it was accidental, his reaction (petulant, pathetic and deliberate) was that of a person who has major problems coming to terms with so badly losing in a one-on-one competitive situation, irrespective of his later low rent (non-) justifications later.

If his legs were 6" long, I could understand him not being able to get himself over Kayal. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Andy Naylor appears convinced it was completely accidental. As did the referee...

I agree, I can't see anyone believing it was accidental, but clearly some people do.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Agree, Barton argues and is in the refs ear with on every decision, except when he commits a foul (often of violent conduct) and just walks away or plays injured.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Andy Naylor appears convinced it was completely accidental. As did the referee...

I agree, I can't see anyone believing it was accidental, but clearly some people do.

if it was accidental why was Barton bending to pick the ball up
Pawson is not a fit ref
where is Barnsie when you need him
Ohhh!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014

There will always be differing, and perhaps subjective, views. But...

The referee's don't have the benefit of replays, like they do in Rugby. My own view is there should be a right to referral, although that would have to be after the match. 'Citing' as it's known. Had this been in a Rugby match there would have been an investigation in to the Barton incidents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here