Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unacceptable hospitality from Arundel Hotel.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Myself and Mrs The Clamp have had a tough time of late but our problems were resolved last week so we decided to book a night away in The Norfolk Arms Hotel in Arundel (I booked it on Friday night) next to the castle for Sunday night. Thought we'd check in at 2, spend a couple of hours looking around the castle then a wonder through Arundel checking out a few pubs and eateries, few drinks and stroll back to the hotel for the night in one of the executive rooms.
So we drive up for 2, I hop out to ask reception where to park and I'm informed by the girl that the had a small fire on Saturday and all the guest were informed and have been moved to another comparable hotel in Burpham.
They admitted they forgot to ring or email me and we got in the car and drove over to Burpham. I said I was going to take a look at the hotel before staying there, which the NA receptionist got knocky about. I was paying 120 quid, I wanted the same standard. The money had bit been paid at this point as it was to be settled upon leaving the hotel on Monday.
We pulled up to the place, Burpham Country House or similar name, wonky sign, broken window, gloomy, dingy, granny furniture, a room right at the back of the house. It wasn't a hotel it was an old fashioned B&B with a hag of a woman who ran it, her grandchild running around and a dog following us about.
I said No, it's def not worth 120 and it's in the middle of nowhere and there's no restaurant just a run down pub a way up the road. Middle of nowhere and a shithole to boot.

The owner got really bitter at us when we told her no and was most rude. We left and came home.

Now, what should I ask for in my complaint email? I thought the whole thing was appalling customer service. I'm not angry they had a fire, things happen but the follow up was well below acceptable.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Glad to hear your problems have been resolved. What do you want to get out of it? Is it just to vent?

If so, I'd leave bad feedback on the B+B tripadvisor page. Seems to be the usual place to get noticed

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Burpham Country House WAS a lovely place, spent a night there about 10 years ago before going off on our honeymoon. The George and Dragon you speak of is one the of best Gastro Pubs in West Sussex. I do understand your frustration but neither of these places are as bad as the picture you're painting.

As an Arundel resident I'd have warned you off the Norfolk Arms in the first place, very few locals use it and it has an appaling reputation locally.

Best place in Arundel, IMO, is The Town House, brilliant guest rooms and a superb restaurant.

Sorry you had such a bad time, I normally find asking what they are prepared to do is the first step followed by Trip Advisor if you're not happy. Basically they couldn't supply what you'd booke dso I'd expect a full refund and maybe an incentive to book again (but I wouldn't go back there)

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was thinking of discount on another stay? Does that sound reasonable? 50% and a dinner with wine? Perhaps in a different hotel in the group though, the staff there seemed clueless and not one Fitty amongst them.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I didn't bother checking out the pub to be fair, looked a bit rundown from the outside.
Honestly though, the B&B has been allowed to get very run down. So bleak and gloomy.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's a shame it's a civil matter. Had it not been, I'd have had another suggestion.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I must stress I had not paid yet, just booked and was to pay on arrival or departure.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Was thinking of discount on another stay? Does that sound reasonable? 50% and a dinner with wine? Perhaps in a different hotel in the group though, the staff there seemed clueless and not one Fitty amongst them.

What does 'one Fitty' mean?

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I must stress I had not paid yet, just booked and was to pay on arrival or departure.

Safe yourself any additional stress.

Stick an accurate report on TA, they may see it and invite you to speak to them about it? New owners recently taken it over it's a bloody shambles, always has been. Was really hoping someone like Du Vin or someone would grab it, it could be the jewel in Arundel's crown, instead it's a pimple on its ar*e.

Try The Town House, it's fantastic!

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Stick an accurate report on TA, they may see it and invite you to speak to them about it? New owners recently taken it over it's a bloody shambles, always has been. Was really hoping someone like Du Vin or someone would grab it, it could be the jewel in Arundel's crown, instead it's a pimple on its ar*e.

Thank you, yes I think I will book us in there.

I don't know if I can be bothered to chase it up, I did t lose anything and I've just spent 3 months trying to get 2.5 K back off a total Psycopath/narcissist who tried to make mine and many of my friends lives a misery for 6 months. I got the money back. I don't know if I want to turn what was supposed to be celebrating that into another hunt for compensation. We'll save the money and spend it on our away holiday in May I think. I've heard good things about the Town House though, may give it a bash!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've always found the best approach when wishing to make a complaint is to be constructive, polite and do NOT ask for anything. By asking for something your card is marked as someone looking to complain just to see what they can get away with.

Merely write to the manager, ensuring you are courteous as you express your disappointment about the experience you were so much looking forward to and see where it goes from there. If nothing is forthcoming then move on - life is too short. You've not lost anything beyond a bit of time.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've always found the best approach when wishing to make a complaint is to be constructive, polite and do NOT ask for anything. By asking for something your card is marked as someone looking to complain just to see what they can get away with.

Merely write to the manager, ensuring you are courteous as you express your disappointment about the experience you were so much looking forward to and see where it goes from there. If nothing is forthcoming then move on - life is too short. You've not lost anything beyond a bit of time.

I absolutely agree. If I decide to write to them I won't ask for anything I was just wondering what I could expect or what to say if they come back with a crap offer but by all accounts I've had a narrow escape by NOT staying there. We got a nice drive in the country too. I think I'll leave it unless Mrs The Clamp requires some kind of display of Alpha Male capability. She's already got the hump when she found out I was going to spend 120 on one night away, that's the biggest ballache.

When we were looking in Burpham Country house place she said "oh come on, it's only gonna cost you what? 50/60 quid?"

Behind hand
"120"

"What"!?

"It'll cost me 120 quid "

"Right, we're not staying in this hole for 120 ****ing quid"

Things are still a but tense at Clamp Mansions.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Leave 'em a truthful review on Trip Advisor & Google and chalk it up to experience. Life's too short to waste on pillocks.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
The George and Dragon at Burpham is a stunning pub with superb food.I frequently travel from Godalming to eat there. Good beer as well. I fear in your moment of disappointment you missed a chance to partially redeem the day.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The George and Dragon at Burpham is a stunning pub with superb food.I frequently travel from Godalming to eat there. Good beer as well. I fear in your moment of disappointment you missed a chance to partially redeem the day.

I fear you are right, perhaps we should have had lunch there. However , there was no way we were going to stay in the sordid grief hole of Burpham Country House and we wanted somewhere we could eat, drink and not have to drive so it was ruled out straight away.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You could have taken your love down to the premier inn at tang mere. They have a vending machine in the foyer to cater for your every need...as long as your every need is twiglets and tropical oasis drink. They have hot and cold Romanians running in every room and Lenny Henry hanging around reception in a trilby looking well pleased with himself.

Definitely worth a visit.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I absolutely agree. If I decide to write to them I won't ask for anything I was just wondering what I could expect or what to say if they come back with a crap offer but by all accounts I've had a narrow escape by NOT staying there. We got a nice drive in the country too. I think I'll leave it unless Mrs The Clamp requires some kind of display of Alpha Male capability. She's already got the hump when she found out I was going to spend 120 on one night away, that's the biggest ballache.

When we were looking in Burpham Country house place she said "oh come on, it's only gonna cost you what? 50/60 quid?"

Behind hand
"120"

"What"!?

"It'll cost me 120 quid "

"Right, we're not staying in this hole for 120 ****ing quid"

Things are still a but tense at Clamp Mansions.

And that's why the lady is a Clamp?

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Interesting - my missus has (had) arranged a cream tea for 16 - the Du Vin have been utterly appalling. She rang to confirm it a couple of days ago and said they couldn't be sure that they would be able to be seated, wouldn't have the usual presentation etc as they were 'busy that day' .......despite the booking being made weeks ago. The guy on the phone was completely disinterested. Called another Brighton establishment who couldn't have been more helpful (may turn out to be crap but at least the pre-booking was good)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here