image.jpeg

http://gu.com/p/4tvm5?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Well, there is now, it would seem!

Anyway, politicians are crooks, stashing away loads of ill-gotten dosh? No news to anybody - nothing to see here!

I'm sorry to say that was my reaction too. I read it knowing I should feel outraged, but I think our expectations of politicians have been in the gutter of so long now this just reinforced what we kind of knew already.

There is NO decent or ethical reason for involvement in any of these offshore companies, tax havens etc etc. It's ALL to do with fiddling tax, disguising ownership of assets or some similar subterfuge. Just being on the client list should be an automatic red card. But nothing much will happen. Terrible really.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I'm sorry to say that was my reaction too. I read it knowing I should feel outraged, but I think our expectations of politicians have been in the gutter of so long now this just reinforced what we kind of knew already.

There is NO decent or ethical reason for involvement in any of these offshore companies, tax havens etc etc. It's ALL to do with fiddling tax, disguising ownership of assets or some similar subterfuge. Just being on the client list should be an automatic red card. But nothing much will happen. Terrible really.

Exactly my view. I don't really bother reading this sort of thing anymore, in much the same way I don't bother voting. None of them are trustworthy and are only out for themselves, their families and associates. It was interesting to see that Cameron's dad was on the list though. Not to mention the company his wife works for is also based in a tax haven. #inittogether

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
The (immoral) advantages provided exclusively to the super wealthy (individuals, businesses, criminals) through such practices go way beyond the scope and impact 'average' millionaire politician (although it will be amusing / sickening to see the expense fiddling hypocrites condemn them) and have a significant impact on individual nations and globally. Mossack Fonseca are not even in the world top 3 in off shore services, they are only the bit of the ice berg you can see.

For many this leak will just confirm their worst fears but for many others (particularly the young) it will be new(s). Sad (slightly pissed) idealist that I am I would like to think something positive might come out of someone within one of these clandestine organisations breaking ranks. If NSC can't even summon the enthusiasm to discuss it then...oh you get the general idea...awaits flaming for naivety etc etc.

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
If NSC can't even summon the enthusiasm to discuss it then...oh you get the general idea...awaits flaming for naivety etc etc.

Wonder if some English football benefactors will get dragged into this - that'll get the discussion going. Probably the Guardian are breaking us in gently - you know starting with World Leaders and politicians, before moving onto more regular billionaires.....:(

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Wonder if some English football benefactors will get dragged into this - that'll get the discussion going. Probably the Guardian are breaking us in gently - you know starting with World Leaders and politicians, before moving onto more regular billionaires.....:(

Oh balls...I didn't think this through did I?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
dictators stowing away billions-no surprise there then
billionaires using legal offshores -no surprise there then
politicians using legal offshores but not declaring interests-ok im listening
FIFA ethics committee linked to setting up offshore accounts to corrupt FIFA vice president-KERCHING-WE HAVE A WINNER!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So what if they are? Nothing wrong here for private individuals.

Vlad the Bad etc. and various politicians stealing from their people and hiding it on the other hand...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Whilst it's easy just to shrug and admit that none of this comes as a surprise, you've got to remember that HARD EVIDENCE should be making these people accountable.

Yes we're jaded and fed up with these crooks BUT if we just accept it's the way of the world then how can we ever expect change? People should be outraged and kicking up a stink. The proletariat just need mobilising and a mouthpiece.

I somehow ended up on the Mirror website recently where they were running an online poll asking if readers believed we'd see a large scale uprising against inequality (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/panicked-super-rich-buying-boltholes-5044084) and it was running at 77% YES.

Just makes you think where's it going to come from then?

Dec 29, 2011
This is massive news. People mocked the 'illuminati' theory but it's not looking so silly anymore. Big respect to those with the balls to leak this (unless it was the FBI/CIA).

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Governments around the world condone and facilitate tax avoidance strategies, don't they? Of course they're all at it.

Many loopholes could could be locked down but that's not going to happen when the rule makers, their mates, and the businesses which lobby and fund the political parties and the politicians lifestyles, benefit so greatly from all the avoidance scams being available.

Isn't there are phrase along the lines of- tax has to be paid by everyone, unless you have enough money to afford to avoid it?

It sometimes feels to me like there is a big cash economy where not much tax is paid, and those doing very well just pay accountants to get round paying most of the tax they should, which leaves a bunch of people in the middle, usually on PAYE, who pay full tax on all earnings...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whilst it's easy just to shrug and admit that none of this comes as a surprise, you've got to remember that HARD EVIDENCE should be making these people accountable.

Yes we're jaded and fed up with these crooks BUT if we just accept it's the way of the world then how can we ever expect change? People should be outraged and kicking up a stink. The proletariat just need mobilising and a mouthpiece.

I somehow ended up on the Mirror website recently where they were running an online poll asking if readers believed we'd see a large scale uprising against inequality (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/panicked-super-rich-buying-boltholes-5044084) and it was running at 77% YES.

Just makes you think where's it going to come from then?

The proletariat rising up and shafting the super rich? Lovely idea, but won't happen. Most of 'em will still vote tory.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think there is legitimate concern if they are evading tax and/or laundering money they have come by through illegal means.
Of course if there is any lawbreaking it is a concern.

Are all the revelations about lawbreaking ?

Isn't a lot of it just legal tax avoidance, not evasion ?

Steve in Japan

May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

I'm sure you're right but I thought the Inland Revenue had pretty much decided that most tax avoidance was fair game to be challenged now - whether notionally legal or not. Also CallmeDave has promised (hur hur) to get rid of all this avoidance. Although to be fair it probably depends on how much cash you've got.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

No, it will be a mix and that is the point. It is the system that is revealed here. A system that can be used in lots of different ways - from 'legal' tax avoidance to flat out tax evasion, money laundering and sanctions busting. But what all those that use the system have in common is that they are rich, they are powerful and they will do all they can to make sure they system continues to provide them with the services they want. That is why it will be so hard to make the changes that are needed. But it must not stop us trying. They key question we should all be asking is who can be trusted to fix this?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Interesting that this is headline news on the BBC the day of a Panama program on BBC tonight, usual self publicity. When exactly where these documents leaked?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Interesting that this is headline news on the BBC the day of a Panama program on BBC tonight, usual self publicity. When exactly where these documents leaked?

It is a co-ordinated international journalist story. Fantastic good work, this is exactly what journalists should be doing and getting maximum publicity for their investigative work.

We must shut down tax havens and secret off shore companies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here