Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Youth Cricket - St James's Montefiore

StJMCC

Mar 31, 2016
Do you have children interested in playing cricket?

St James's Montefiore was founded in 1898 and takes its name from St James's Street, off the Old Steine. This was the location of the first recorded meeting of the club. The club later amalgamated with Hove Montefiore Cricket Club and in 1982 moved to its present beautiful location at the foot of the Downs between Keymer and Ditchling - many of the players still make the short trip from B & H.

The youth section at St James's is vibrant and welcoming with training by qualified coaches from Under 6 (school year 1) upwards. We also have several girls' teams and are always happy to welcome more girls and women. The new season starts next week and we would love to have more players - no previous experience necessary - so if you would like to give your children an opportunity to try cricket, please get in touch by sending me a personal message

We also have a fully licensed bar which is (almost always) open during training sessions and serves Harveys!

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, if we're advertising cricket clubs ...

An option for any interested young cricketers in Lewes is Lewes Priory. We run teams from U-9s to U-16s. Those in school year 6 will be in the U-11 team where one is, er. me. Another NSC luminary coaches on the older teams (can't remember which one it is). And our bar serves Harveys too.

Actually, I could make a plea for younger cricketers to join a club, any club. Many across Sussex are struggling to recruit youngsters and it would be great to report boom times for all clubs

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Actually, I could make a plea for younger cricketers to join a club, any club. Many across Sussex are struggling to recruit youngsters and it would be great to report boom times for all clubs
Absolutely! Cricket in schools in Sussex is having a bit of a revival and it would be great to have as many kids as possible taking this on to club level.

StJMCC

Mar 31, 2016
Indeed! The more the merrier...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Well, if we're advertising cricket clubs ...

An option for any interested young cricketers in Lewes is Lewes Priory. We run teams from U-9s to U-16s. Those in school year 6 will be in the U-11 team where one is, er. me. Another NSC luminary coaches on the older teams (can't remember which one it is). And our bar serves Harveys too.

Not sure about a luminary but I do coach the U16 Lewes Priory team. The youth section is thriving, the adult club less so. Plenty of opportunity for teenagers to step up to play Saturday cricket.

Probably best if I refrain from commenting on my experience of SJMCC, else this thread may get moved to the Other Stuff.

PG

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Registration evening at Abergavenny cricket club is this Friday 6pm at the ground, outdoor nets start the same night weather permitting.

(you never know)

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
For what it is worth I played all my junior cricket at St James and a lot of my senior cricket too. Great club and people with top coaching and decent facilities. If you are looking to get into cricket, you could do a lot worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here