Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This ain't funny.......

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Although the article link is from the Express 'newspaper', at which point I laughed, it is linked to The Times which most would agree is slightly less sensationalist. I have also seen reference to this from local MP Peter Kyle on Facebook, where he verifies discussions on the topic have occurred between himself, Sussex Police and other authorities.

I am surprised to say the least, I really did not think that we would have this kind of problem so close to our front door, the odd nutters yes, see Saltdean Deghayes family. But numbers like those quoted in the report? Wow. Should we continue with the kid glove approach much longer? Really does not seem to be working in my opinion.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/657779/Islamic-State-ISIS-terror-plot-Brighton-jihadis-Syria

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Now in The Argus this morning.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What approach do you suggest?

Maybe it is time to be less tolerant than we have been up till now. Clamp down on the hate preachers earlier, be less accommodating to religous sensitivities, ban the burka in public places? Just show that our culture is to be respected and not just dismissed, that western values will be put first above alien cultural needs and requests? Not being afraid to prosecute wrongdoers because of their religion?

I certainly don't profess to have all the answers, but our tolerant, liberal society is not being respected by groups who want to destroy the perceived infidels. Our understanding, open mindedness seems to be encouraging our enemies rather than converting them. What is the way forward?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Maybe it is time to be less tolerant than we have been up till now. Clamp down on the hate preachers earlier, be less accommodating to religous sensitivities, ban the burka in public places? Just show that our culture is to be respected and not just dismissed, that western values will be put first above alien cultural needs and requests? Not being afraid to prosecute wrongdoers because of their religion?

I certainly don't profess to have all the answers, but our tolerant, liberal society is not being respected by groups who want to destroy the perceived infidels. Our understanding, open mindedness seems to be encouraging our enemies rather than converting them. What is the way forward?

lets see how some of your liberal tendencies stand up now this crap is APPARENTLY on your doorstep....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am increasingly intolerant of all people that proclaim that what they say, do or believe is right because someone told them it was what God wanted.
If God wants it done, let the all powerful c**t do it him/her self. I await the lightning bolt, flood, plague of frogs/locusts, or fire and brimstone.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't know why there is a court order preventing them going to Syria.

Let them go, but either strip them of citizenship so they can't come back, or charge them with treason.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What approach do you suggest?

We have a whip-round for their flights to Syria? They obviously don't like it here and frankly, I don't much like them being here either. Perhaps it would be best all round if they moved to a country more in line with their deeply held beliefs.

D

Deleted member 22389

They will give in to everything they want, more places too worship, religious courts, schools, eventually you walk down the road and get this sense that you shouldn't be there anymore, thought I left all this behind in Luton.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't know why there is a court order preventing them going to Syria.

Let them go, but either strip them of citizenship so they can't come back, or charge them with treason.

Although I have a lot of sympathy with that view I think it might possibly be counterproductive to allow hundreds of Jihadi wannabes to go and strengthen ISIS. It would also make us complicit in their future murderous actions if we let them go. To be clear I'm only talking about UK citizens, if they are foreign nationals or even dual nationality then yes show them the door. Unlikely to be possible of course because of human rights considerations.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Joint statement on this by the council and Sussex Police:

http://www.sussex.police.uk/news/po...aight-on-radicalisation-in-brighton-and-hove/

Police and Council put record straight on 'radicalisation' in Brighton and Hove

05 Apr, 2016 10:00
The following statement has been issued by Pinaki Ghoshal, Director of Childrens Services, Brighton and Hove City Council, and Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp of Brighton and Hove police.

"We would like to make it clear that there are not ‘28 city jihadists intent on terror’ in Brighton & Hove as has recently been claimed in the media.

"Approximately 18 months ago we had concerns relating to a number of young people in the city who we considered to be at risk of exploitation. This followed the widely reported departure of five young people from the city to Syria.

"The young people were not working together as a ‘gang’ as stated in some press coverage. They were individuals who were not all known to each other. We wanted to ensure they were kept safe.

"Our concerns were not solely about radicalisation. They were as much about their vulnerability to criminal activity and in some cases sexual exploitation.

"We have worked in established partnerships with local community and religious groups to engage with these young people, hear their grievances and help them turn their lives around in a more positive direction.

"This work has been very successful and as a result we do not consider these young people to be at risk of radicalisation. None of them have gone to Syria.

"Tackling exploitation is a key priority for the city’s child protection services. At any given time we are working with a number of young people who are at risk of exploitation. Radicalisation is part of this work.

"We remain permanently vigilant in this regard and continue to work across a wide range of multi-agency partners in order to be so.

"There is no cell of people based in this city radicalising young people.

"Radicalisation is being conducted world-wide, primarily through the internet. It is an issue in towns and cities across the country.

"We would stress the very positive role the local Muslim community has played and continues to play in combating radicalisation and offering positive role models to young people.

"We would like to underline that the exploitation of young people is a national issue, and that we have no reason to believe that the situation in Brighton is any different to the situation in other cities across the UK."

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
....They were as much about their vulnerability to criminal activity and in some cases sexual exploitation.

"We have worked in established partnerships with local community and religious groups to engage with these young people, hear their grievances

This bit annoys me. They're not a bunch of horrible little toe-rags, they're vulnerable to criminal activity and we need to hear listen to their "grievances".

we have no reason to believe that the situation in Brighton is any different to the situation in other cities across the UK."

This isn't necessarily a good thing though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
This bit annoys me. They're not a bunch of horrible little toe-rags, they're vulnerable to criminal activity and we need to hear listen to their "grievances".

This isn't necessarily a good thing though.

Toe-rags they may be, but at least they have been identified and the authorities/community have stepped in to try and find out why they may be open to radicalisation and have attempted to put them back on a decent path. This has to be a good thing surely?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Toe-rags they may be, but at least they have been identified and the authorities/community have stepped in to try and find out why they may be open to radicalisation and have attempted to put them back on a decent path. This has to be a good thing surely?

I dare say it is but the police are using words such as 'vulnerability' and 'listening to grievances'. It's victimspeak, it encourages people not to take responsibility for their own actions.

There was a book published in the 1800s by Samuel Butler called 'Erewhon'. It's a dystopian novel where criminal activity is pitied by the public and treated like an illness and the genuinely sick and the elderly are ostracised, criminalised and put in institutions. It's not too far off the truth.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I dare say it is but the police are using words such as 'vulnerability' and 'listening to grievances'. It's victimspeak, it encourages people not to take responsibility for their own actions.

There was a book published in the 1800s by Samuel Butler called 'Erewhon'. It's a dystopian novel where criminal activity is pitied by the public and treated like an illness and the genuinely sick and the elderly are ostracised, criminalised and put in institutions. It's not too far off the truth.

I see what you are saying but someone has to show them the right path to follow. They clearly are not getting the right guidance from their peers and family etc. Many teenagers do irresponsible things and most get shown the error of their ways. This lot clearly were not. I agree that they should not be treated as victims, but someone has to try to turn them around. To ignore them could be disastrous.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Charge the parents with treason - hang them, and then ship the teenagers over to Syria with the rest of the family and then strip them of UK Citizenship.

Could do a job?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here