Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactical mistake today?

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Thought we played really well today and deserved to win. Still optimistic about rest of season.

However, think we made two tactical errors. One from Hughton and one from Stockdale, both of whom I think have been excellent this year.

We were losing corners in the air from the beginning. We took off Hemed and Bruno (forced) and replaced them with Bong and Sidwell, which I would say weakened us further in the air defensively. I think Greer would have been a better substitution than Sidwell. Three central defenders might have made us sit deep, but we were likely to have to do that anyway in the last ten minutes because they were going to throw everything at us.

Given the players we had on the field, I said before that last corner that Stockdale would have to come and claim it if he could. It was headed in from six yards, which I would have thought he could have claimed.

Am I being unfair?

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Agree that Hemed was taken off as he looked completely knackered. But to replace him with Sidwell was strange to say the least. Kazenga time surely?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, perfectly fair post. Sidwell is looking very past it on current form and really doesn't offer us anything. Wilson's fitness is a concern, and Hemed has no stamina at all. A chance to rest but those limp performances up front? Rubbish as Baldock is, at least he can run around a whole game.

Tactics aren't Hughton's strength, we set up and play how we play - whatever the opposition does. Dropping so deep so early is why we are never more than a single goal ahead, but that said we did miss good chances at 2-1.

Either way, really good game of football today.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
I agree that all season Stockdales weakness has been his failure to come of his line and command the six yard box.He may have been impeded on some occasions but it is for me a major weakness in his game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I've never been a fan of his take-off-a-striker-put-on-a-midfielder substitutions. Time and time again it just seems to encourage the opponents.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex

Agreed. But as I say I did say it before we conceeded. Doesn't make me a tactical genius. We could all see they were winning headers from corners all game couldn't we? And the same player had actually scored from one corner before we gave him a free header within minutes.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Agreed. But as I say I did say it before we conceeded. Doesn't make me a tactical genius. We could all see they were winning headers from corners all game couldn't we? And the same player had actually scored from one corner before we gave him a free header within minutes.
Watch the replay & see how Stockdale was impeded. It happened at every corner. Stockdale complained to the ref in the first half about it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It worked well earlier in the season bringing on Rosenior in midfield to see the game out, but I'm afraid I'm having doubts about Sidwell's ability in that role; he doesn't seem half the player he once was.
I'd have brought on Jiri for the tiring Hemed, to keep some speed and aggression in attack, worrying their defence (rather than them coming upfield and taking headers at our goal!) - but hey, that's just my opinion, which doesn't count for much I know. Still, at least it wasn't hindsight, honest!

The defensive subs Hughton made would probably be those that most managers have made. Putting Greer on would have sucked Burnley into our box and I'm not convinced that would have been that helpful either.

It really needed that 3rd goal and time and time again our attackers lacked that composure.

We have I think the best central midfield and best wingers in the league but we have no clinical strikers with Zamora out and no dominant talisman central defender to bully opponents, the route one mugging today was very similar to the Boro game here. This is a team with clear weaknesses that stop us being an auto promotion side alas.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How about if you thought it was a bad substitution as it happened? Sidwell has shown nothing since he was picked for the Cardiff game. Shame Hughton never actually comes out and admits to tactical errors, after all he gets most things right, so no shame in admitting mistakes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True. But managers are paid to view the game and make the right calls. Maybe they won't get it right all of the time, but they should get it right more often than not. This defensive substitution thing often backfires.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From corners Burnley put 2 men on Stockdale to box him in and stop him coming for the ball and they hit the ball ball to the 6yd line for their central defenders to attack, so no blame down to Stockdale. What cost us was taking Hemed off and not having a similar type player to replace him. Also our reluctance to bring in loans when we were going well and needed more players and to quote TB strengthen from a position of strength.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
From corners Burnley put 2 men on Stockdale to box him in and stop him coming for balls the. Hig gge ball to tge 6yd line for their central defenders to attack, so no blame down to Stockdale. What cost us was taking Hemed off and not having a similar type player to replace him. Also our reluctance to bring in loans when we were going well and needed more players and to quote TB strengthen from a position of strength.[/QUOTE]

Who should we have brought in? Vardy wasn't available.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The defensive subs Hughton made would probably be those that most managers have made. Putting Greer on would have sucked Burnley into our box and I'm not convinced that would have been that helpful either.

It really needed that 3rd goal and time and time again our attackers lacked that composure.

We have I think the best central midfield and best wingers in the league but we have no clinical strikers with Zamora out and no dominant talisman central defender to bully opponents, the route one mugging today was very similar to the Boro game here. This is a team with clear weaknesses that stop us being an auto promotion side alas.
Agree with this. Adding an extra midfielder can often help close up a game; whereas adding an out and out defender just invites pressure.

Zamora, if he'd been fit, would've been the ideal sub for his hold up play and aerial ability defending corners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here