Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Set-pieces

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
It's great to see we are a threat from set-pieces but we are also weak at defending them.

It will be interesting to see how many goals we have conceded from set-pieces this season because it is the ONLY thing that has frustrated me this season.

There is no doubt the ball was over the line for Burnley so we technically conceded three goals in set pieces today - this needs to be addressed for the remaining games as I am pretty sure that will be the difference between us in the play-offs and automatic promotion.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Dyche said in his post match interview that they had targeted corners as we have conceded 26% of our goals from corners.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Lots. It's our Achilles heel.
Good thing we're brilliant practically everywhere else.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
We are definitely poor at defending set pieces but today Stockdale seemed furious after their first goal . Did anyone see whether they were blocking him ?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We do seem to get bullied at set plays and it has cost us especially against teams with a decent delivery.
Boro - 2 from set plays
Burley 2 today and a penelty (dodgy) from a set play away
Derby 1 from a corner
QPR 2 away if I remember rightly.
Even from just those we have lost 4 points we could have had v Burnley
2 points from Derby
2 from QPR

On the plus side I personally would rather watch the type of football we play than what Burnley served up today.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We do seem to get bullied at set plays and it has cost us especially against teams with a decent delivery.
Boro - 2 from set plays
Burley 2 today and a penelty (dodgy) from a set play away
Derby 1 from a corner
QPR 2 away if I remember rightly.
Even from just those we have lost 4 points we could have had v Burnley
2 points from Derby
2 from QPR

On the plus side I personally would rather watch the type of football we play than what Burnley served up today.

We also conceded vs Rotherham and MK from set pieces. No doubt others too.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Their 23 was obstructing Stockdale at every corner, pawson did nothing, although Bruno could have given away a penalty wrestling with the 23.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We also conceded vs Rotherham and MK from set pieces. No doubt others too.

There is others some would have cost points some not. It was notice me from 1st minute today really they would hoof to Vokes hope he won headers for Gray and they would get the odd set players and hope for the best. Their delivery was decent and they had 4 at least 6ft 2/3 inch players on at the end. Our side has a lot of attributes but height is not 1 of them.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
We were poor defending their corners today - a Burnley player was first to every corner they delivered. So frustrating because Burnley never looked like scoring in open play today

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Burnley corners delivered by Jones were a constant threat. Amusing how he suddenly started RUNNING over to take them when they went behind, rather than ambling over in a leisurely fashion like he had been doing up til then :lol:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It was like QPR away today, you just knew it was coming.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It's great to see we are a threat from set-pieces but we are also weak at defending them.

It will be interesting to see how many goals we have conceded from set-pieces this season because it is the ONLY thing that has frustrated me this season.

There is no doubt the ball was over the line for Burnley so we technically conceded three goals in set pieces today - this needs to be addressed for the remaining games as I am pretty sure that will be the difference between us in the play-offs and automatic promotion.

seems to me that most of our defenders get so caught up in wrestling the opposition at set pieces that they forget there is a game of football going on.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We are definitely poor at defending set pieces but today Stockdale seemed furious after their first goal . Did anyone see whether they were blocking him ?

no he was wide open ...rosenior dropped off gray to the goal line , bruno was sat on the floor wrestling someone , goldson was being held and dunk was out of position.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
no he was wide open ...rosenior dropped off gray to the goal line , bruno was sat on the floor wrestling someone , goldson was being held and dunk was out of position.

Stockdale comes for very few crosses.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dyche said in his post match interview that they had targeted corners as we have conceded 26% of our goals from corners.
The team has only conceded 37 all season.

26% of 37 is just 9.62 goals.

Hardly an in depth strategy, it sounds more like an excuse to play rustic, route one, hoofball.

We have some very classy young defenders but today they got bullied by route one warhorses. It's a shame but without an Upson figure in our defence, it's the play-off lottery for us

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
For the first goal Bruno spent all his energy clinging on to Ward, when may be if he gave up on that tactic, and tried a decent tackle, Ward would not have been able to put it on a plate for Gray.

The second goal Goldson was clinging on to Keane, but got a shove/punch in the face which knocked him off balance. Hence why Keane had so much space.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We are missing Murray/Barnes/Ulloa. All 3 were excellent at defending corners but Hemed is not as good.

Burnley were the land of the giants and very route one at the end though. Very difficult to defend against - especially when Ward kept blocking off Stockdale. FWIW, I thought it was a foul on Stockdale before the goal that wasn't but have seen no replays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here