Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much state pension do you think you will receive?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
The max you can receive is £155. I will be 65 in a few months and will get £133 per month. This is for 48 years of contributions .Who will receive £155.00 ?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The max you can receive is £155. I will be 65 in a few months and will get £133 per month. This is for 48 years of contributions .Who will receive £155.00 ?

please tell me you mean a week?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
By the time I get to whatever the pensionable age will be at that stage, I expect it to be worth the equivalent of about tuppence ha'penny.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
By the time I retire if I live that long it will be work til you drop....Personally not one for thinking about retirement and to be frank not overly keen on living as an OAP:wink:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i am 43 and an ex employer did not pay my NI contributions for 8 months and i was offered to top it up but declined due to lack of money many years ago,i have also missed 2 years since 19 as unemployed so mine will not be much but i have a private fund on the go although i only started that in 2012....

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
By the time I retire if I live that long it will be work til you drop....Personally not one for thinking about retirement and to be frank not overly keen on living as an OAP:wink:

Yep, work til you drop is the current ethos. Retirement age going up to 66 then 67, so won't be long until it's 70. Not sure where all these jobs are going to be for septegenarians!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Well I presume I will get the max... I am 53... never been unemployed even for 1 day, although mine won't kick in until I am 67. I do however also have a very lucrative final salary pension on the go, so far covering 30 years of working in the IT world in the banking industry... so happy days when I put my feet up in a couple of years.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Well I presume I will get the max... I am 53... never been unemployed even for 1 day, although mine won't kick in until I am 67. I do however also have a very lucrative final salary pension on the go, so far covering 30 years of working in the IT world in the banking industry... so happy days when I put my feet up in a couple of years.

I do not think you will get the max. I think if you have another pension you are penalised.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

About where I am, if I can eek out and three years or so then should have a good time when finished with work

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yep, work til you drop is the current ethos. Retirement age going up to 66 then 67, so won't be long until it's 70. Not sure where all these jobs are going to be for septegenarians!

Personal shoppers/home shopping delivery drivers etc at Tescos for all the lazy sods who cannot be bothered to do the shopping themselves.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Late 30's now. I fully expect when I retire the state pension will be means tested and as I've a private pension pot I'll get sod all.

What you pay in tax funds the current welfare bill, it's not a savings account for the future.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Should get about 135.00 pounds a week (opted out of SERPS for a while so will not get full amount) but when I am 67 ( i am 62 now) will have paid in to the Spanish system for 15 years and get about 600 euros a month from them as well. Cant Wait!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not forgetting trolley pushers... All real positive full time jobs to keep the old off the poverty line

As a matter of interest, given the fact that we are all living longer how do you think any Government can finance the state scheme if we have a population that may be drawing a pension for 30 or more years? Please don't tell me you would get Google and Starbucks to pay their taxes...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As a matter of interest, given the fact that we are all living longer how do you think any Government can finance the state scheme if we have a population that may be drawing a pension for 30 or more years? Please don't tell me you would get Google and Starbucks to pay their taxes...

Yes we are living longer, but there comes a point when people aren't as capable of being a policeman, fireman or any other physical job. We can't all carry out sedentary occupations that will allow us to work into our dotage. Whathappens to those people?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've been looking at mine this week. I'm 52 and planning to retire in 5 years with a reasonable lump sum and around £1600 a month pension. I've recently started putting AVCs (Additional Voluntary Contributions) in too, to boost it a bit. As far as I can tell, I qualify for a full state pension of £155 but because I contracted out my company pension will be reduced by £40 so effectively I only get the state minimum.

You can check what youll get here : https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yes we are living longer, but there comes a point when people aren't as capable of being a policeman, fireman or any other physical job. We can't all carry out sedentary occupations that will allow us to work into our dotage. Whathappens to those people?

Physical jobs are an issue, I would not want to be a 65 year old bricklayer but I would argue that the majority of UK jobs are now office type.

I know that even factory jobs are largely sedentary, I'm working at a large Plasterboard Plant next week and most of the site operatives sit looking at Control Panels all day!

I am minded to think that decisions about Pension Provision should be taken away from Politicians as by definition they are only thinking of the next 5 years.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Effectively none as my company pension will be reduced by any amount that I get.

No it won't. If you've "contracted out" for a long time like I have you will see an effective reduction from £155 to £115. That's how it stands at the moment, don't rule out further fidling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here